Opinions on Electric knife sharpeners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cats

Senior Cook
I have had a wonderful set of Henkels carbon steel knives for years and years. I really like using them, but they dull very quickly and I'm always having to bug my husband to sharpen them. As you all know it's quite difficult to use a dull knife. Anyhow, I've been thinking that perhaps an electric knife sharpener, to keep on the counter next to the knives, might be a handy tool, but am wondering if they are worth the price and do a good job. Has anyone here had experience with these sharpeners and, if so, any pro/con recommendations? Thanks everyone.

My recommendation is STAY AWAY from the electric sharpeners. They will destroy your blades. Get something like THIS instead. It takes all the guesswork out of sharpening and is very easy to use.

Like GB and Charlie have said.... electric knife sharpeners can ruin your knives if they aren't used with complete precision.

It is far easier (and safer for your knives) to use a sharpening stone on them.

Me? I am lazy and take them to the cutlery store maybe twice a year to be professionally sharpened. Sur la table will sharpen them, too.

ironchef said:
Here's the brand that I use. I've used this same sharpener for years and it keeps my blades extremely sharp.

Though i think this is great, it might be too much foe novice. To use the stone you really have to know what you are doing.

OK, call me a heritic, but I use a Chefs Choice sharpener. It works very well and the few times a year it needs to be used, it does not wear the blades when used properly. It also bring the blade to razor like sharpness. Now, that being said, I maintain the edge with a diamond steel, use a whet stone to do the routine sharpening and I treat the baldes as what they are, fine instruments.
http://www.chefscatalog.com/(4vvsbnv3kedrbn55ynqwbfbn)/catalog/product.aspx?category=Cutlery&subcategory=Sharpeners+%26+Steels&item=14345

Last edited:
I just bought some KAI Shun knives (which, by the way, are *amazing*), but because the steel is so hard all the "easy" sharpeners don't work with them.

According to my local Shun importer Kershaw/KAI's electric sharpener (in his personal experience) works great, even with knives as hard as the Shun's. I haven't tried it myself though. I highly doubt Kershaw/KAI (who take great pride in their blades) would sell this if they thought it damaged the knives rather than sharpened them :)

Can't find a link at Kershaw, so here's a few retailers:
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=ksap0119
http://www.chefsresource.com/kershaw-electric-sharpener.html

If you decide to get one I wouldn't mind hearing a second opinion from a non-sales person ;)

This note is specifically addressed to member tknaps who recommended perhaps the Kershaw electric knife sharpener and provided two web sites where one could be obtained. I want to let tknaps know that I just got one from the knife center site you recommended. It works great. It's also nice in that it is very compact and takes little room on the counter, so I can leave it out right next to my knife blocks. So, thank you.

Thanks a lot for the feedback cats! I'm glad to hear it's a good product. I have yet to buy one myself... I've been practicing my knife honig skills in the meantime, and getting pretty decent at it, but hey - I'm as lazy as the next guy :)

It looks like KAI Europe has launched a slightly different version of this sharpener for us europeans now (looks a bit better than the white one IMHO). There's a picture of it at the bottom of this page:

http://tinyurl.com/a5emr

I agree with most that the Chefs choice is not a good device in my kitchen. I do own one but haven't plugged it in in at least 10 years.

I think you should buy your own set of stones and learn how to use them. Another forum that has not the good type discussions that one comes here for has a food tutorial on Knife maintenance : http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=108&t=26036&

edit: spelling

Last edited:
What many of you might not know, is that many of your local hardware stores have people who sharpen your knives for you. Usually, there is a one week turn around time, since they contract their sharpening service out to local sharpeners.

Hi all,

This is the first time I have posted and I was wondering whether, in your collective wisdom, anyone had used the Furi sharpening system and what you thought of it if you had.
Tasha

cats said:
I have had a wonderful set of Henkels carbon steel knives for years and years. I really like using them, but they dull very quickly and I'm always having to bug my husband to sharpen them. As you all know it's quite difficult to use a dull knife. Anyhow, I've been thinking that perhaps an electric knife sharpener, to keep on the counter next to the knives, might be a handy tool, but am wondering if they are worth the price and do a good job. Has anyone here had experience with these sharpeners and, if so, any pro/con recommendations? Thanks everyone.

Just out of curiousity, how often do you hone your knives? I have had several Henckels knives for years which I hone regularly, and have never felt the need to get them sharpened. Ten strokes per side usually gets the job done, and renders my chef's knives quite sharp enough to easily and cleanly (and thinly) slice raw tomatoes, which for me is pretty much the true test of sharpness.

As you may know, honing mostly straightens the still-sharp edge, while sharpening actually removes a fair amount of material from the blade to make a new sharp edge, especially if you use an electric sharpener. I'm sure most of us have seen those older kitchen knives with a good quarter inch of so of the blade that has been removed by these things. This sort of thing renders a chef's knife next to useless, as the heel of the blade is usually still full size, and prevents the middle of the blade from coming into contact with the cutting board.

IMO, good knives should be honed frequently, (many people hone before each use) and only sharpened when a good honing no longer has the desired effect.

The poster prior to me mentioned the Füri OZITECH Diamond Fingers pro knife sharpener. I have never used one, but if you are uncomfortable using a steel, this seems like it might be a good option. (Even if Rachael Ray does endorse them.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F8SIOW/104-7508998-1503939?v=glance&n=284507

Kelly

Furi had best have a good sharpening system because based on the one knife of theirs I own, they need sharpening weekly or more often if you use them. Mine arrived dull and really will be dull again only a few meals; I'll stick with my Henckels and Globals which over the years I have actually had to sharpen but seldom. The Global santoku sp? only was dulled by misuse by a guest.

This is the shsarpening system that was top-rated in a test by the L.A. Times several months ago:

http://tinyurl.com/qma74

It works very well, producing a like-new edge on my knives. It takes a lot more time than an electric sharpener, but the results are superior and the knife is not damaged.

Good timing on my part! Worked yesterday, now their on-line store is closed. Hope I didn't break it!

Yes, that's the correct item, A Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker Model 204. If you're interested, I suggest you Google it to find a better price -- you can get through Amazon for as low as $45, plus shipping. (Search Amazon for "Triangle Sharpmaker.")

Back
Top Bottom