"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 09-11-2012, 01:51 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Ice, Ice Baby

Old 09-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I have a rather extensive set of wursthof knives I got in Germany, but I have to say my single Palm knife is my all time fave. I love the weight, the way it sharpens easily, and its shape.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The best knife isn't all about cost or perceived reputation, it's the one you enjoy using the most.

I have a full set of Wusthoff (thanks sis for the wonderful gift). The chef's knife is fantastic, but my favorite paring knife is a cheap Rada knife, the blade just works so well for peeling. I had a whole set of Rada knives that I liked very much and used for years, those are now being used by my niece who adores them.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
The best knife isn't all about cost or perceived reputation, it's the one you enjoy using the most.

well said. that employs using a knife, including how you use it, and how you sharpen it, and how to keep it sharp while using it.

lol. think about it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #15
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
I can certainly stand behind that as well. I have a few knives that have been passed down, have no known make, no known model, but they stay sharp, stay true, and I don't have to think much about them in the home setting.

In my comment, I was simply pointing out that personally, I hadn't ever heard of them, and some of the "Selling features" Seemed rather gimmicky to me, much like a Ginsu that can slice through a brick, a hammer, a shoe, and then slice a tomato.

If you like the Palm brand, good on ya, whatever floats your boat. To each their own.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT

I can certainly stand behind that as well. I have a few knives that have been passed down, have no known make, no known model, but they stay sharp, stay true, and I don't have to think much about them in the home setting.

In my comment, I was simply pointing out that personally, I hadn't ever heard of them, and some of the "Selling features" Seemed rather gimmicky to me, much like a Ginsu that can slice through a brick, a hammer, a shoe, and then slice a tomato.

If you like the Palm brand, good on ya, whatever floats your boat. To each their own.
Don't you hate not having something to cut through a brick?

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Don't you hate not having something to cut through a brick?
I mean. how are you going to make that fire-brick pizza oven without a Ginsu knife to slice the bricks into shape?

Did you know that Ginsu was a name thought up by an American company for their cheap knives, or so I've been told. They though it sounded exotic enough to catch the ears of the gullible among us. And it did catch many an ear. The knife made the manufacturer money. That's all they cared about, IMHO.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I mean. how are you going to make that fire-brick pizza oven without a Ginsu knife to slice the bricks into shape?

Did you know that Ginsu was a name thought up by an American company for their cheap knives, or so I've been told. They though it sounded exotic enough to catch the ears of the gullible among us. And it did catch many an ear. The knife made the manufacturer money. That's all they cared about, IMHO.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
You heard correctly, it was two college buddies, and I am pretty sure there was booze involved too.

Not a cheap read, but you can but the whole story here:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CC8Q8wIwAA
Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
but, but, this is ICE hardened.

the steel lattice closes around the carbon molecules much more quickly with ice when tempering, which sounds better.
Hardening and tempering are two different procedures-
Hardening - Heating the steel to the hardening temperature and cooling suddenly.
Tempering - Reheating the hardened steel to the tempering temperature in order to relieve stress induced in the hardening process, and remove some of the hardness in exchange for toughness. Untempered, hardened tool steel is nearly as brittle as glass.

Tags
knife