Palm Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mustangirl

Assistant Cook
My friend gave me a chefs "Palm" Knife, like as in the Palm Hotel brand and I absolutely love it!!! I would love to get more of this brand except that I can't find it anywhere, not even online. Has anyone else heard of or used this brand?

That's the time you ask your friend where he/she got it. Tell them how much you like it and want to get more and you reenforce the fact that they pleased you with their gift.

Palm knife

I bought one of these at Ross and LOVE it I went back for more, they were out! It's been several years but man o day would I love to get a few more as gifts and a spare..........

Yeah, I've seen that brand at Marshall's, Homegoods, TJ Maxx (all the same company), that brand seems to be good quality stuff, they have a lot of bakeware.

Do you have any pics? All google turns up are hunting style "Palm" knives(think hunting knives/skinning knives/self defense), but nothing like The Hotel Palm brand knife. . . just curious, as I have never heard of them.

They seem like just kind of middle of the road, odds and ends kind of knives. "Ice Hardened Steel". . . . I mean, ALL Knife steel is quenched.

I would rather save the money, and save a little more, and go with something a bit more known/consistent, and more than likely better quality. Not saying they are junk, as I honestly don't know, but the fact there is so little info about them is questionable in it self, imo.

but, but, this is ICE hardened.
;)

the steel lattice closes around the carbon molecules much more quickly with ice when tempering, which sounds better.

Last edited:
I have a rather extensive set of wursthof knives I got in Germany, but I have to say my single Palm knife is my all time fave. I love the weight, the way it sharpens easily, and its shape.

The best knife isn't all about cost or perceived reputation, it's the one you enjoy using the most.

I have a full set of Wusthoff (thanks sis for the wonderful gift). The chef's knife is fantastic, but my favorite paring knife is a cheap Rada knife, the blade just works so well for peeling. I had a whole set of Rada knives that I liked very much and used for years, those are now being used by my niece who adores them.

The best knife isn't all about cost or perceived reputation, it's the one you enjoy using the most.

well said. that employs using a knife, including how you use it, and how you sharpen it, and how to keep it sharp while using it.

lol. think about it. :)

I can certainly stand behind that as well. I have a few knives that have been passed down, have no known make, no known model, but they stay sharp, stay true, and I don't have to think much about them in the home setting.

In my comment, I was simply pointing out that personally, I hadn't ever heard of them, and some of the "Selling features" Seemed rather gimmicky to me, much like a Ginsu that can slice through a brick, a hammer, a shoe, and then slice a tomato.

If you like the Palm brand, good on ya, whatever floats your boat. To each their own.

TATTRAT said:
I can certainly stand behind that as well. I have a few knives that have been passed down, have no known make, no known model, but they stay sharp, stay true, and I don't have to think much about them in the home setting.

In my comment, I was simply pointing out that personally, I hadn't ever heard of them, and some of the "Selling features" Seemed rather gimmicky to me, much like a Ginsu that can slice through a brick, a hammer, a shoe, and then slice a tomato.

If you like the Palm brand, good on ya, whatever floats your boat. To each their own.

Don't you hate not having something to cut through a brick? :LOL:

Don't you hate not having something to cut through a brick? :LOL:

I mean. how are you going to make that fire-brick pizza oven without a Ginsu knife to slice the bricks into shape?:ROFLMAO:

Did you know that Ginsu was a name thought up by an American company for their cheap knives, or so I've been told. They though it sounded exotic enough to catch the ears of the gullible among us. And it did catch many an ear. The knife made the manufacturer money. That's all they cared about, IMHO.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I mean. how are you going to make that fire-brick pizza oven without a Ginsu knife to slice the bricks into shape?:ROFLMAO:

Did you know that Ginsu was a name thought up by an American company for their cheap knives, or so I've been told. They though it sounded exotic enough to catch the ears of the gullible among us. And it did catch many an ear. The knife made the manufacturer money. That's all they cared about, IMHO.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You heard correctly, it was two college buddies, and I am pretty sure there was booze involved too.

Not a cheap read, but you can but the whole story here:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=K89QUPPXB6Lo2AWaq4HgBQ&ved=0CC8Q8wIwAA

Last edited:
but, but, this is ICE hardened.
;)

the steel lattice closes around the carbon molecules much more quickly with ice when tempering, which sounds better.
Hardening and tempering are two different procedures-
Hardening - Heating the steel to the hardening temperature and cooling suddenly.
Tempering - Reheating the hardened steel to the tempering temperature in order to relieve stress induced in the hardening process, and remove some of the hardness in exchange for toughness. Untempered, hardened tool steel is nearly as brittle as glass.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom