"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Paring Knife or Set - Which One (last knife post for a while)?

First let me apologize for all my posts on knives...being new to cooking (even though I'm 43) I have a lot of questions. I hope you understand.

I'm going to order an 8" Chef's knife (my first 'real' cooking knife ever ) tomorrow and want to order a paring knife or set when I do. Since I'm just learning to cook, and have a minute amount of funds to work with after receiving my post-Christmas credit card bill, I want something very cheap but decent.

Here are my four options:

1) J.A. Henckels International 3 piece set for $11 http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-Inter...=3MKPTD4TB6A20

2) Victorninox Cutlery 3 Piece Paring Knife Set, Poly Handles for $13 http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-480...=3MKPTD4TB6A20

3) Victorinox 3 1/4" Paring Knife - the handle looks a bit larger on this one than on the ones that come in the set above and the blade is stamped with 'Victorinox' http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-480...=3MKPTD4TB6A20

4) Kuhn Rikon Paring Knife - which seems to get excellent reviews http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Paring-Nonstick-Orange/dp/B000I1WXUG/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3DI7WZMKY9X54&colid =3MKPTD4TB6A20

Thank you again for your patience and your help. I'll try to make this my last knife post for a good while!!!

TripleB

Old 01-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The only real reason you need more than one paring knife is if one is dirty and you don't want to take the time to wash it.

I'd go with the best single paring knife you can afford. I prefer a 4" to a 3".

Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The only real reason you need more than one paring knife is if one is dirty and you don't want to take the time to wash it.

I'd go with the best single paring knife you can afford. I prefer a 4" to a 3".
It's also handy to have a second one when two people are cooking at the same time

Our carving knife subs for a chef's knife quite often for just that reason.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
I should have explained what the sets included in my original post.

Here you go:

1) J.A. Henckels International 3 Piece Set includes: 3 1/4" paring knife, 3" straight blade with point, 2" curved blade

2) Victorinox Cutlery 3 Piece Paring Knife Set Includes: 3 1/2" paring knife, 2 1/4" bird beaks paring knife, 3 1/4"wavy edge paring knife

TripleB
Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

TripleB, I saw your links to the sets of three paring knives. You don't really need those three different shapes.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Head Chef

I agree with Andy, go with the best single knife you can afford.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
TripleB, I saw your links to the sets of three paring knives. You don't really need those three different shapes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I agree with Andy, go with the best single knife you can afford.
So would that be choice number 3 or number 4?

TripleB
Old 01-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
So would that be choice number 3 or number 4?

TripleB

I can't open #4.

I meant something like this:

Amazon.com: Oxo Good Grips Professional 4-Inch Paring Knife: Home & Garden
Old 01-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
Cook

I agree that you only need one really good paring knife. I would recommend a set that comes with a bread knife, as I find that very useful, and perhaps a boning knife if you are planning to cook fish. Other than that though, one paring knife should do.

There aren't too many jobs that require different "types" of paring knives, and if doesn't matter what kind of paring shape you're using unless you are a professional or decorative chef. But, other types of knives may be useful in your kitchen later on. I recently took a course on Essential Knife Skills and learned so much about the different types of knives available! However, with one of each, you can usually do the job at hand.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
like everyone else going with one pairing knife is really a good route..however getting one normal blade then one serrated blade is nice. I have one serrated one that I use for tomatoes and such just so I dont have to bust out my full scale bread knife for it.

I will say that Victorinox is highly recommended by the chefs from Cooks illustrated and know that even their lower priced blades are used in a great deal of kitchens.
i dig their knives a lot..specially for the price.
so my verdict
price wise go with just one non serrated blade and if you can, get another one that is.
If cooking with someone else is an idea, in my house we usually split up the tasks so someone has the pairing knife tasks while the other takes care of chopping and such.

i hope that helps

p.s
no problem with asking questions about knives...i LOVE talking about knives

Tags
knife