"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Shoulda said round belly; haven't seen them for sale lately, think they may have been discontinued-

Do you mean ROACH belly knife?

Old 10-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbit View Post
Go for it, personally I think a good cookware and great kitchen knives can really make a big different in cooking:)

If you are getting santoku knife, Shun Classic is my favorite:)
Oh, yeah, those Sun Classics are gorgeous knives! I like all of Kershaw's offerings including the Shuns and even the Wasabis...

Old 10-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've seen a few of those in various horror movies (lol)
???
Old 10-13-2008, 07:17 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Close, but the roach has a little less belly than the round.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

for the knives with the wood gripp change them for newones i think
Old 10-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I have a 7" santoku with hollow edge, and shortly after I bought it, I kind of wished I hadn't. Not because it isn't a good knife, but because I felt it was redundant. Back then I would have told you that anything I could do with the santoku, I could do with a chef's knife.

That is still true, but now I am happy with my santoku. Not because I wouldn't be able to cook without it, but because of subtle differences. For example, it releases clingy foods much better than my chef's knives. So something as silly as making chicken sandwiches becomes slightly easier. I can slice both the cheese and meat with the santoku, and the cheese lets go of the knife much easier than it does with my chef's knives. Could I use a chef's knife instead? Of course, but it is just a little bit easier, and therefore more fun to use the santoku. I could cite more examples, but I'm sure you get the picture.

However, having said that, this purchase taught me that for me, at least, a knife choice is kind of a personal thing. I should choose my knives based on what I need them for. I bought the santoku several years ago, at a time when they were first appearing on cooking shows in great numbers. I thought "Well, if they all use them, I must need one." Fortunately, it worked out this time, eventually.

But, in the future, no more knives for me, unless I know for a fact they are going to help me do something I do a lot, and make whatever that is easier and quicker.

Of course, this is only my opinion, and only one approach. I recently met a guy who said he had over forty knives, and that he absolutely needed them all. And no, he wasn't a pro, he just worked at a kitchen supply store. I guess he must have gotten a discount. :)
Old 10-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I had to split-off approx. 1/2 of a 5 lb. hard frozen slab of pastrami for tonight's dinn-dinn. Not having a meat cutting bandsaw, I was sure glad to have an eleven inch Sabatier Chef's knife to do the job. The Sabatier's edge survived the task pretty well. Don't know if current Sabatiers would fare as well; mine is likely some 20+ year's old. I had a Sabatier, purchased in 1972, that was hardened so much that it was brittle. I converted the warped replacement of the snapped brittle Sabatier into a short paring knife that I use whenever I want a knife with a high handle to blade length ratio.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:23 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuijt View Post
for the knives with the wood gripp change them for newones i think
Thanks!