"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-12-2005, 08:31 PM   #21

But do you like it GB?

Old 06-12-2005, 08:34 PM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

But of course

My wife on the other hand...When I got my cleaver she was terrified. It didn't help matters that I told her I was going to sleep with it under my pillow

Old 06-12-2005, 08:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
But of course

My wife on the other hand...When I got my cleaver she was terrified. It didn't help matters that I told her I was going to sleep with it under my pillow
Mine is back in corner of the pantry, still in it's shipping box!
Old 06-12-2005, 09:27 PM   #24
Cook

I don't envy men mad at you!

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:37 PM   #25
Hospitality Queen

Oh my gosh Choclate!
Remind me never to make you upset!!!

<<singing>> "Oh, Choclate Chef is the greatest...la la la"
Old 06-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #26

Just keep singing jkath.....I'm loving it!

Old 08-02-2005, 07:44 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
For the average home cook, I still believe you only REALLY need two knives. When I cook at home, 99% of the time I only use one of these two knives:

8" or 10" Chef's Knife
Bread Knife

As long as you invest in a sharpening steel and good quality sharpening stone, you can do pretty much anything and everything with those two knives. Well ok, what about other knives?

Utility Knife: It's basically a shorter Chef's knife. Unless you don't feel comfortable wielding an 8" knife, then this might be better although you'll be handicapped when tackling larger items

Paring Knife: Do regularly make turned vegetables at home? Do you only peel your potatoes or fruits this way? If the answer is no, then you don't need this knife.
I very much agree with you ironchef, but I would make the number 3 and include the paring knife as an essential :) I really feel a lot more comfortable using a short (3"-4") paring knife for tasks like splitting a red chilli in half, taking the guts out of a red pepper and all sorts of other fiddly vegetable tasks where a 8"-10" chef's knife becomes a bit unwieldily IMO (and potentially a bit more dangerous unless you're careful). In fact, what you call paring knives are called "vegetable knives" in Norwegian :)

Oh, and one more tool I really like having around in the kitchen, although not really a knife, are some good shears!

In my block knife-set I would say my only "pointless" knife is a 6" utility knife which I very rarely use (I think the only use it sees is if there's more than one cook in the kitchen and there's a lot of slicing to be done :))

choclatechef: That cleaver of yours looks quite suited for slaughtering a mammoth
Old 08-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
My knives are all so dull... that all of them are quite pointless to have around.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:33 PM   #29
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I really only use my chef's knife, I'm trying to get good at cutting very finely with it, and thus eliminating the need for a paring knife. As far as a bread knife, I really dont use it that much, so little that I could probably get away with using a standard kitchen butter knife.

Here's a question though: alot of the knife sets I've used in the past few years have been serated. What's your preference, serrated or "un-serrated"? I went out and bought myself a quality chef's knife about 3 months ago, and it's been so refreshing to have a nice knife, and that's not serrated. I've never been able to get really clean cuts from any serrated chef's knife.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:32 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
Here's a question though: alot of the knife sets I've used in the past few years have been serated. What's your preference, serrated or "un-serrated"?
Except for the "coarsely serrated" bread knife, DEFINITELY smooth edge. I don't know of any of the well known brands that carry serrated knifes at all. My general impression is that they're serrated so that they appear to stay sharper for longer (you saw through stuff instead of actually cutting it). The other thing is that they're near impossible to hone or sharpen.