"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I wouldn't ever put knives in the dishwasher.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #12
Cook

We've stuck ours in there every day for years...they still look like new. That's the beauty of buying a good knife, they last...

Old 01-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I was refering to killing the edge, even on great knives.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
Cook

Never had a problem with any of them keeping an edge, or being damaged in any way. Been doing it for years...

I think that myth got perpetuated by makers of knives that wouldn't hold up to constant washing due to inferior construction and materials... :twocents:
Old 01-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Actually Baketech there are many reasons not to put your good knives in the dishwasher. For one, things do not always stay put when the washer is running. i sure don't want something slamming into my blade and putting a ding in it. Also, most knives have wood or plastic handles. The handles are not made to to withstand the harsh chemicals of dishwasher detergent or the heat that dishwashers put out. The handles will crack and become unsafe much quicker if you put them in the dishwasher.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #16
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Actually Baketech there are many reasons not to put your good knives in the dishwasher. For one, things do not always stay put when the washer is running. i sure don't want something slamming into my blade and putting a ding in it. Also, most knives have wood or plastic handles. The handles are not made to to withstand the harsh chemicals of dishwasher detergent or the heat that dishwashers put out. The handles will crack and become unsafe much quicker if you put them in the dishwasher.
With lesser quality knives, I'm sure that's the case...

I've washed my Wusthofs every day for years, and you cannot tell them from new...

As a craftsman, I know how to take care of my tools, so that mindset extends into my kitchen as well. If there were any chance of damage, I would not be doing it. But, to each his own...

My apologies for the threadjack...
Old 01-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Wustof does say their knives are dishwasher safe, but I could show you a $10,000 knive of much higher quality than Wustof that would be destroyed in the dishwasher. It really has nothing to do with the quality of the knives. If the highest quality knife in the world has a wood handle (as many do) then the dishwasher will ruin it with time.

I sure hope a stray item in your dishwasher does not knock into your blade during the violent washing cycles and put a ding in it. That would really stink.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #18
Cook

I'm not speaking for those knives, only the ones that I chose for the "perfect for my needs" combination of quality, performance and price. (In my case that happens to be Wusthof Classic, ymmv, etc.)

Being an amateur hack, I have no use for a "higher quality" knife that can't survive a dishwasher... If someone happens to own them, then your post is probably great advice.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

My post was just in regard to you saying that it had to do with the quality of the knife whether it could withstand the dishwasher. I was just trying to point out that low quality and high quality and everything in between generally do not fare well in the dishwasher. You happen to own Wustof knives which supposedly can go in the dishwasher (although they can still be damaged by flying objects in there). 99.999% of other knives are not meant to go in the dishwasher and it has nothing to do with quality.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm rockin' with garrett b.

i've tried various sizes of santokus, but i prefer the motion on an 8" chef's knife. i use mine for everything from the daily chopping of veggies and fruits for my birds, to the occasional hacking open of lobsters.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote