"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #21
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
99.999% of other knives are not meant to go in the dishwasher and it has nothing to do with quality.
Quality is a subjective term of course...we all have different needs and expectations. Personally, my definition includes the ability to withstand soap and water...but fully appreciate where others would differ...

But enough threadjacking...

Ditto on what others have said about their preference for a Chef's knife, I've tried the Santoku a few times, but only end up using it to make matchsticks...

Old 01-13-2008, 02:06 AM   #22
Head Chef

I have a 240 mm/9.4" Tojiro Gyuto that I really love. It's wicked sharp and pretty comfortable in the hand, and the size is really ideal. An 8" is a bit too short for me personally, but I don't always need or want the 10". I'd highly recommend this one, especially for $60.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:54 AM   #23
Senior Cook

My knife is dishwasher safe, but given it's length, it wouldn't be an easy fit! I'm sure the manufacturer intended them for commercial dishwashers, but I still wouldn't clean it in a consumer model. Even if I had some doohickey (a registered trademark of Whatsit Corp.) to keep the knife from bashing into the glass, ceramic, and other metal items in there, I still don't trust water that hot and that laden with chemicals to dwell on my knife for that long.

Scrub scrub, rinse. Dry dry, block. Go get a donut. Not a big deal to me. Individual fates may vary. Of course, it's sometimes difficult to fit the whole flat of my blade against the side of my sink given its length, but I'll deal.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #24
Master Chef

I just bought 12" one and love it. It is the knife I grab the most nowadays. I think it is because I am not very tall, or rather simply short and the counters are too high for me. Having big heavy knife kind of helps with the presure that I lack in the heigh.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

I believe as there is a time for every purpose under heaven, there is a knife for every purpose in the kitchen. Whatever feels good and does the job works for me as long as it's SHARP.

Mostly use 8" straight edge for dicing onions and slicing potatoes, squash, cabbage... and 8" "rocker edge" for mincing/chopping herbs/garlic and slicing celery, carrots, scallions... Use a 10" straight edge for cutting through larger veggies like winter squashes.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I just bought 12" one and love it. It is the knife I grab the most nowadays. I think it is because I am not very tall, or rather simply short and the counters are too high for me. Having big heavy knife kind of helps with the presure that I lack in the heigh.
Are you pulling our leg Charlie? Even though I use a 12" chef's knife on ocassion, to me its weight and sharpness scares me a bit.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #27
Master Chef

For everyday slicing and dicing - I use an 8" chef's knife. If I need something bigger (cutting up chickens, meat, winter squash, etc.) then I want a little more heft too - 10" and 12" old style Butcher knives - and a 7" cleaver.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #28
Head Chef

All my lobster-hackin' gets done at work, unfortunately!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Are you pulling our leg Charlie? Even though I use a 12" chef's knife on ocassion, to me its weight and sharpness scares me a bit.
No, I'm not pulling anybody legs, I really do love that knife, actually would love to have a nicer one even, heavier. This one is Dexter-Russel. Very light.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:11 AM   #30
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I use a Wusthof 10-inch chefs knife.

Before I cooked professionally, I pretty much used whatever was handy. However, when I was being trained, I learned in knife skills that anyone taller than 5 feet 6 should use a 10-inch chefs knife. My dad bought me one, and I have never looked back. Now, it's really hard for me to see someone trying too chop with a paring knife, or any other knife, because I know how inefficent it is, and how easy it is to cut yourself using the wrong equipment.