Preferred Knife Length?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still a bit dubious of grantons that don't extend into the edge bevel, but I know they are very popular.

Good point. A little known fact about many single edged Japanese knives is that not only the "flat" backside is hollow ground, the front side relief bevel is as well.

Bottom line as far as I am concerned is that even if grantons do something, they don't do it all. Bits and pieces still stick to the blade and need to be wiped off. One celery slice or ten celery slices can be removed with the same motion of a finger with no wasted energy, so what's the big deal?

Besides, I think they're ugly. Also, I associate them with WalMart knives.

Buzz - who lives in a non-granton home

I used to think the grantons were a gimmick. I have a santoku that has them and they do not do a blessed thing. However I was watching America's Test Kitchen one day when they were testing knives. One of the knives had grantons, but they were all over the knife from top to bottom. Where a normal 8" knife might have 7 or 8 grantons, this knife had 3x as many or more from top to bottom and front to back. They sliced something that would normally stick (I think it was a cucumber) and not a single piece stuck to the blade. The food fell away every time. Not a single piece stuck.

Hmmm, maybe they lubed it up for effect, lol! I think we could take many of our fine tools to the Nth degree, but at the end of the day if it does what you bought it to do, is comfortable in the hand, and most importantly you will USE it, then everybody's favorite choice is subjective. There are lots of nice choices out there, but it is important to remember that not everybody has the ability to appreciate what makes a truly good knife superior. Moreover, not everybody wants to take it that far, let alone pay for it.

Me, I'd love to own one. :)

p.s. Not a granton fan here either

Interesting. That is the first time I've ever heard of such capability. What make knife was it?
I wish I remembered the make. It was not one I had ever heard of I don't think, but that does not mean much. I do remember it was over $200 and because of the price they did not recommend it.

Have been working in food service for about thirty-five years, a lot of that time in prep. I always preferred a good 10" knife because I felt that it allowed me to do more operations with just that one blade. Recently though, I've developed "tennis elbow" from the repetitive motion applied in the chopping and slicing of a multitude of produce items. My doc recommended a shorter blade to decrease the stress on the joint. My new blades if an 8" 1905 F. Dick. Great quality, great rocking curve.

Back
Top Bottom