"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Hello...I too am a big fella-like my 8" best...'bout the only time I grab a 10" is in the summer when the big watermelons are bountiful...my 8" chef, my off-set bread knife and filet/deboning knife are my most used-I do mostly seafood yet still cut my steaks and chops-a lot of fresh fish and fresh veggie work...love the Gulf Coast

Old 03-21-2008, 12:27 AM   #52
Assistant Cook

A big guy here. i like my 10" chef, but find my 9" as a good go-between. I cant use a 8" or less unless i want to do extremely fine work; does not fit me any other way. (12"ers are a joke....unless you are like, boning a great white lol)

Old 03-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #53
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
More often than not, I'm reaching for my 8" chef's knife. I almost never grab the Santoku first. But I have a 5" utility knife that is endearing itself to me ...
Old 03-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #54
Assistant Cook

Garett B,

Why have 8 or 10 when you could have 9? My brother makes a nine inch chef knife that is the Excalibur of chef knives. At least I think it is. 32 layers of 'Damascus steel' (laminate) surrounding the best tool steel core. So, it's nice size but the Damascus makes it much lighter and thinner and thus, abler to take a sharper edge than a comparably sized non Damascus.

The blade is made by the first Japanese family to switch from making swords to cutlery, but the design is my brother's who is an artisan in Wyoming. So the result is unique. The company is New West Knifeworks. Look under Phoenix KNives for 'The 9.'
Old 03-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #55
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWestknives View Post
Garett B,

Why have 8 or 10 when you could have 9? My brother makes a nine inch chef knife that is the Excalibur of chef knives. At least I think it is. 32 layers of 'Damascus steel' (laminate) surrounding the best tool steel core. So, it's nice size but the Damascus makes it much lighter and thinner and thus, abler to take a sharper edge than a comparably sized non Damascus.

The blade is made by the first Japanese family to switch from making swords to cutlery, but the design is my brother's who is an artisan in Wyoming. So the result is unique. The company is New West Knifeworks. Look under Phoenix KNives for 'The 9.'
A few comments:

What's so great about a nine inch knife? My "chef's" knives range from eight to twelve inches. Different knives for different purposes. Full disclosure: My favorite length is 240mm (9.4").

Which tool steel? Different steels for different purposes.

Damascus has nothing to do with sharpenability nor thickness. You aren't sharpening the damascus portion of the blade, only the non damascus steel cutting edge. In addition, I don't think there's a tool steel out there that can be ground as sharp as powder steels, Hitachi blues and whites, and Swedish 13C26/AEB-L.

In addition, I can't stand grantons. I'd much rather see a full length hollow ground like on the back side of Japanese traditionals. I don't think they work anyway...

Which Japanese family?

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #56
Assistant Cook

All right, here's more details about the New West 9. The tool steel core is AUS-8. The Japanese family that makes the Phoenix knives is the Fukumoto family. Granted these aren't old school 'traditional' style Japanese blades. They're more contemporary. The edge is a 50/50 edge and the handle is more my brother's ergonomic Western style. (virtually indestructible 'Nobel-Lite' which is like Corian. But regardless of your aesthetics, you can be sure they know how to make and work steel in Seki.

If you don't like the granton edge, you can use the other side. The 9 only has dimples on one side and they aren't obnoxious looking like Shun. The hamone grind line, samurai sword fashion, makes for a pretty cool aesthetic as well.

As far as whether the Damascus has anything to do with Sharpenabililty or thickness, my understanding is that the pattern welded external steel is used because it makes the knife more durable with less steel. That is the forge/stamping process of laminated steel creates patterns of bonding that make a smaller amount of steel tougher. The outer layers of Damascus allow you to have a thin tool steel core, without worrying that the lightness of the knife is going to make it prone to breaking apart if you drop it. I also think it is easier to keep that sharp because of its thinness. I haven't vetted this thoroughly. I'll look around some tech sites and see if I can find some answers and links for another post. I'll also get out my 9 and compare it to another fat monster Chef knife I have and do a test run on some onions.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #57
Sous Chef

AUS-8 is okay but nothing special. It's moderate carbon content of .75% is no big deal and is not generally hardened more than Rockwell C 58-59 or so. this is on the soft side for Japanese construction

I have more for later but I've a tee time to address.

Retirement is good. LOL & ;-)

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
Old 03-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #58
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
I've a tee time to address.
Tee time was good. 3 over after 4. 2 more bogies in the round. 3 five foot birdie lipouts and still shot one over. I think I'll celebrate tonight. More on this forum tomorrow. je je je (Spanish)

Old 03-25-2008, 06:12 AM   #59
Senior Cook

I have to agree with Buzzard on AUS-8. It's not bad but pretty pedestrian as finer cutlery steels go. Laminated blades are implemented to conserve more expensive core steels, protect the core steel from corrosion or stress. Since AUS-8 is tough and corrosion resistant on its own, the Damascus cladding adds a touch of flair.

I'm interested by the "hamone grind line." In the pictures on the website, it looks like it's just the transition between the Damascus cladding and the core that's been exposed as the outcome of grinding the bevels. Is there more to it than that? I assume it's different than the hamon exhibited as a result of clay-coating and quenching the blade.

I'm still a bit dubious of grantons that don't extend into the edge bevel, but I know they are very popular.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I'm 5'5 AND A HALF!!! (dont forget the half)
I love love love my 6 (actually 5 1/2) inch Henkel for mostly everything.
Maybe it's the half....

OOps I forgot to quote chef June where she mentioned being over 5'6 to use the 10 inch knife, that would make this post make more sense....