Preferred Knife Length?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GarrettB

Assistant Cook
After going back and forth for awhile, I decided that I'd prefer the benefits of a chef's knife over those of a santoku. I'm a "rocker" and simply can't get that done with a santoku knife.

I've also decided that I enjoy both the Shun Classic series grip and the standard Henckels and Wusthof Euro-style grips.

The only question now is, what is the ideal blade length?

Personally, 8" and 10" both feel very good. I'm a large fellow so I don't feel that the 10" is unduly big, but I also don't think the 8" is diminutive either. Has anybody found any cooking tasks that were made easier or more convenient with a larger knife size, from 8" to 10"?

well if you're breaking down whole loins of pork or beef ribs or strip loins often a good 10 inch might be good to have around. I feel like they're both good sizes, and generally both acceptable for most any task. A smaller knife is handy on a smaller cutting board, but a longer knife is nice for tasks like slicing large portions of meat. You could always do the go between and get a 9 inch.

Usually I decide on my knife length based on my hand size, whatever is comfy, and most economical, but long lasting.

I have a 6in...8in...and two 10 in. One of the 10 inch is stored. Day in and day out the 6 in, and the 8 in. are what I reach for. Rarely the 10. If I had to pick one..The 8 in would be the winner in Chef knives.......

I like my 10 inch, German-profile chef's knife for most tasks. For chopping herbs and such, I'll use my 6 inch, traditional santoku. I also have an eight inch Chinese-pattern chef's knife that I don't use a lot, but I keep around because it is pretty cool.

When it comes to a chefs knife, I like the largest I can handle. I currently use a 10" and love it, but it is a little too big for my work space right now. When I buy a ceramic chefs knife I will be looking for an 8". All things being equal though I like the 10" size better.

It really comes down to personal preference though. Only you will know which size is right for you.

The only question now is, what is the ideal blade length?

Personally, 8" and 10" both feel very good. I'm a large fellow so I don't feel that the 10" is unduly big, but I also don't think the 8" is diminutive either. Has anybody found any cooking tasks that were made easier or more convenient with a larger knife size, from 8" to 10"?
I use a 12" forged Sabatier for jobs like splitting large heads of cabbage and a 6" forged wide LamsonSharp for cutting rinds off hard cheese & small chopping jobs and a stamped 8" Wingen when I want some length with less weight. If I could only choose one length I'd lean toward a forged 10".

Last edited:
too much knife makes things more prone to accidents. I recommend a variety of sizes and use the right knife for the right job.

Personally, I use an 8inch mostly, 10inch reserved for splitting lobster and breaking down primals, and basic "bigger" needs in the kitchen.

I am with AndyM though.

Surprised to see so many people using an 8" knife...I have big hands, and only use mine when splitting a lobster or other large jobs...:neutral:

For everyday cooking, I prefer the 6" chef. I keep three of them in my block, because one always seems to be in the dishwasher...;) Plus, I can cut up poultry and just grab a new one instead of washing it off.

Have thought about giving a 7" a try...might be a good compromise...

We've stuck ours in there every day for years...they still look like new. That's the beauty of buying a good knife, they last...:)

Never had a problem with any of them keeping an edge, or being damaged in any way. Been doing it for years... :neutral:

I think that myth got perpetuated by makers of knives that wouldn't hold up to constant washing due to inferior construction and materials... :twocents:

Actually Baketech there are many reasons not to put your good knives in the dishwasher. For one, things do not always stay put when the washer is running. i sure don't want something slamming into my blade and putting a ding in it. Also, most knives have wood or plastic handles. The handles are not made to to withstand the harsh chemicals of dishwasher detergent or the heat that dishwashers put out. The handles will crack and become unsafe much quicker if you put them in the dishwasher.

Actually Baketech there are many reasons not to put your good knives in the dishwasher. For one, things do not always stay put when the washer is running. i sure don't want something slamming into my blade and putting a ding in it. Also, most knives have wood or plastic handles. The handles are not made to to withstand the harsh chemicals of dishwasher detergent or the heat that dishwashers put out. The handles will crack and become unsafe much quicker if you put them in the dishwasher.

With lesser quality knives, I'm sure that's the case...;)

I've washed my Wusthofs every day for years, and you cannot tell them from new...

As a craftsman, I know how to take care of my tools, so that mindset extends into my kitchen as well. If there were any chance of damage, I would not be doing it. But, to each his own... :)

My apologies for the threadjack...:-p

Wustof does say their knives are dishwasher safe, but I could show you a $10,000 knive of much higher quality than Wustof that would be destroyed in the dishwasher. It really has nothing to do with the quality of the knives. If the highest quality knife in the world has a wood handle (as many do) then the dishwasher will ruin it with time.

I sure hope a stray item in your dishwasher does not knock into your blade during the violent washing cycles and put a ding in it. That would really stink.

I'm not speaking for those knives, only the ones that I chose for the "perfect for my needs" combination of quality, performance and price. (In my case that happens to be Wusthof Classic, ymmv, etc.)

Being an amateur hack, I have no use for a "higher quality" knife that can't survive a dishwasher... ;) If someone happens to own them, then your post is probably great advice.

My post was just in regard to you saying that it had to do with the quality of the knife whether it could withstand the dishwasher. I was just trying to point out that low quality and high quality and everything in between generally do not fare well in the dishwasher. You happen to own Wustof knives which supposedly can go in the dishwasher (although they can still be damaged by flying objects in there). 99.999% of other knives are not meant to go in the dishwasher and it has nothing to do with quality.

i'm rockin' with garrett b.

i've tried various sizes of santokus, but i prefer the motion on an 8" chef's knife. i use mine for everything from the daily chopping of veggies and fruits for my birds, to the occasional hacking open of lobsters.

Back
Top Bottom