"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
View Poll Results: Average Cost for Knife ($)
0-10 2 10.53%
10-40 6 31.58%
40-80 4 21.05%
80-120 3 15.79%
120-200 4 21.05%
200-400 1 5.26%
400-1000 2 10.53%
1000-3000 0 0%
3000+ 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Price Range for your knives?

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, just made my introduction post a little while ago.

I'm curious as to how much you spend on your knives, on average? Let's say for a main chef's/gyuto/santoku/etc.

It would be awesome if you could give some background of use too! Things like if you're a home or professional cook, or how many hours your knives see on a weekly basis.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to seeing the results :)

-Don Nguyen

p.s. I tried doing a search but didn't find anything similar to what I was looking for. Sorry if it's been covered!

Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
Sous Chef

$200-300 for a good Gyuto of the 240mm variety. It's hard to put a time on how much I use my knives per day, since it gets used intermittently throughout the cooking process but I'd put actual use time at about 30-45 minutes a day since I'm fast and accurate with my knife use and I don't cook for more than 1-2 people very often. However, the amount of use isn't a factor in my purchases more than how much I'll enjoy the utility and efficiency of the knife itself. A good, sharp knife to me means accurate cuts more quickly, which means better food and makes cooking a LOT more fun.
I can't help but smile a bit when I look down and see a perfect dice or batonette on the cutting board.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

My least expensive knife is my boning knife. It is a Chicago Cutlery that I bought before dirt was invented. It cost me the grand sum of $25. For me at that time was way too expensive. My most expensive is a 12" Shun that cost $150. It was a gift. My oldest son has it now. It is too big for my hands. I use a hand held knife sharpener that was recommended by ATK and some friends. I gave my Chefs Choice to my son also. I got that at a store closing for the grand sum of $5.00. Last one on the shelf.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
Head Chef

My average gyuto runs in the $200-$300 range. My most expensive is an $830 Nubatama. Few of my knives were over $400. All are Japanese save one that's an American Wa-gyuto made on the Japanese pattern. I'm a pro chef.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Been buying knives for some 47 years and inherited a few. So I try to refrain from buying more. Properly sharpened, most all of my knives perform satisfactorily. Considering that some of my earliest purchases were priced in the $7 - $20 range, I am satisfied with their performance even though they generally require more frequent sharpening. The most recently acquired SG2 and S30V blades take and hold a very nice edge; they are my go to knives for tasks like scoring pork skin and slashing bread, but I'm glad I have a 12" 40 year old Sabatier chef's knife, 14" 80++ year old Harrington / Dexter slicer, 9" JA Henckels Zwilling butcher knife, 8" Othello Wingen cook's knife, stout 6" Lamsonsharp chef's knife, 4" Wusthof wide belly parer, etc., etc..
Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Head Chef

I bought my chef's knife at an outlet for less than $20. I use it every day, I keep it as sharp as I can, and it fits my needs--and my dainty little hand.

Spending more would be a waste of resources, and nobody I know would be impressed. Most of them think my knives are too damned sharp and 'dangerous' as it is.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Master Chef

The reason I had to choose the lower price range is because you asked for averages. I have some pretty pricey Whustofs as my favorites, but also a set of very inexpensive paring knives and, believe it or not, a bread knife from an old set of TV promotionals (remember the Ginzus?) that worked better than the more expensive one so ditched the latter and kept the ginzu. My chef's knife probably cost $100 .... but balance it with the 20 cents the others cost ....
Old 10-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a set of knives that I got as a free gift from Spiegel's. I had the Chef's knife for more than thirty years. It worked fine when I first got them. Over time I lost all but the Chef's knife. After a number of years I noticed that my knuckles were hitting the cutting board. I had used it so much over the years and sharpened it so often that it was wearing down. I finally got rid of it. I should have had a proper service for a faithful friend.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Henckel's 8 inch santoku, that I got at a deep discount , fits my hand. It's the perfect workhorse for me, it had a matching 4 inch parer. An OXO parer and a Chicago Cutlery bread knife are also used regularly. The rest of the knives are a Farberware set that sees rare use. I began in food service over 30 years ago, now I'm a home cook.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I got my 8" chef's knife, a 5" utility knife, and a 3" parer for $11.99. They were forged high carbon stainless and seemed to fit well in my hands. They also seems to stay pretty sharp thankfully. I got them at Kitchen Connection, but they are apparently not on the website any longer so I guess I caught them on clearance. Go figure.

I also have a Farberware set that...well...it sucks. I'm glad I don't have to rely on that stuff anymore.

Tags
knives