Pricey Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
For some reason that I can not fathom, high end knife distributors send me catalogues. I can't affor the knives in these books, even though I dream about them. I'm truly satsified with a couple of my knives. I won't mention which brands as everyone has their own favorites.

But what I wanted to say is that I just saw a set of eight knives, all made with a damascus steel folded 48 times, and with a curly maple holder (very cool looking) going for the modest price of $2800. Can you imagine! These are the most expensive knives I've seen to date, at least in a set. I have seen single knives go for close to $600. Too rich for my blood.

What's the most you've seen knives go for?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I've seen single present day Japanese knives go for over $1,000. The knives used in sushi bars probably START at $400.

I have a set of Japanese knives, made by a now deceased master, that were bought in the early '70s. I consider them to be priceless, even though I know my mother paid little (in today's dollars) for them. I think in those days, a dollar bought over 400 yen. I heard that a single blade, no handle, by this master went for $1,500 about 10 years ago.

Yes, these are all damascus blades. You can see Mt. Fuji in these particular knives.

Psiguyy said:
I have a set of Japanese knives, made by a now deceased master, that were bought in the early '70s. I consider them to be priceless, even though I know my mother paid little (in today's dollars) for them. I think in those days, a dollar bought over 400 yen. I heard that a single blade, no handle, by this master went for $1,500 about 10 years ago.

Yes, these are all damascus blades. You can see Mt. Fuji in these particular knives.

I know I've said this before, Psiguyy, but I really have dreamt about those knives of yours! And they were in my kitchen at the time, of course!

Good heavens, what an incredible treasure! Wow.

I wish everybody had a chance to use knives like this. Even modern Japanese damascus blades are amazing.

You know how difficult it is to cut puff pastry, especially something like a Napoleon? Well, these Japanese knives just sail right through them with harldy a crumb. The blades with only one side beveled can cut salami paper thin without much effort and it can keep cutting without needing resharpening for a long time. Once it needs resharpening they're freakily easy to sharpen on a stone.

I just don't understand how they do it, but it's not often that you find knives that are easy to keep razor sharp AND have them keep that razor sharpness for so long.

If you know a Japanese born sushi chef, they almost always go back to Japan to purchase their knives. Ask them to buy you a knife. You'll probably have to give them $500 to cover the price of the knife and the duty on the knife. They know what to look for and where to get them at the best prices.

Back
Top Bottom