"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 09-13-2006, 12:07 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to beau_safken Send a message via MSN to beau_safken Send a message via Yahoo to beau_safken
If I would suggest anything, its get the spyderco sharpening kit.

Its the best thing I have ever used. Can sharpen serrated edges also. This thing will allow you to sharpen anything with a edge. Kitchen shears, knives, razor blades **** near anything. I can put an edge on my knife that I could never get in a pro shop. The only issue I see is you have no ability to really put bite on the blade, but for 90% of needs thats just fine.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:15 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to ohsmily
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_safken
The only issue I see is you have no ability to really put bite on the blade, but for 90% of needs thats just fine.
Huh? What do you mean. Could elaborate a little?

Old 09-16-2006, 10:34 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to beau_safken Send a message via MSN to beau_safken Send a message via Yahoo to beau_safken
When you sharpen a blade you are putting a point back on the blade. /\

So the process of sharpening, how you pull the blade over the surface of the sharpening stone or honing steel is how to put marks on the blade. Think of it like if you zoomed in real hard and looked at the side of the edge.

Putting bite would be putting some \\\\\\\\\ to catch the food and move it out of the way some. Usually I will put some bite to grip the food as I slice on the right side of the blade. I'm right handed and I like how the bite on the right pulls the food away a little.

get it?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

I like to use a 1x 42 belt sander for sharpening. I use up to a 800 grt belt and then switch to leather honing strap. It's important to remove the backing strap from the machine before sharpening. I end up with a highly polished convex edge in a fairly short period of time. I have been sharpening for over 30 yrs and after visiting several cooking stores that offer professional sharpening i would avoid them like the plague. The ones that i went to all used professional electric sharpeners that left coarse saw like edges that dull quickly and remove excessive amounts of metal in the process causing the knife to wear out far sooner than it should. flat grind knives i sharpen using a piece of glass and sand paper up to 2500 grt. honing compounds rubbed on single sheets of paper placed on top of glass and i finish with plain newsprint witch contains fine abrasive in the ink.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #35
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Ask your butcher who sharpens his knives. He will most likely tell you he sharpens his own, and then offer to do yours, free fer nuthin!