"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Use it. Be careful around bones so you don't chip the edge. There are many Japanese knives that sell for well over $2000 and they are not collectors items.

Buzz

Old 11-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd be looking for reasons to use a knife like that.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:20 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'd be looking for reasons to use a knife like that.
And I'd be looking for disposable income to buy a knife like that.

Buzz
Old 12-24-2007, 03:24 AM   #14
Head Chef

What an odd gift! Even if I earned multiples of my current income I wouldn't give someone a $1200 knife that they wouldn't use. While a good knife is a good knife, Japanese knives are made for Japanese cooking. Several high end Japanese bladesmiths will say the same thing- use Western knives for Western cooking and Japanese knives for their intended purpose. Some Japanese styles look superficially similar to Western knives but perform very differently and often are subpar when used in that manner. Substitute a deba in place of a French knife for about 20 seconds and you'll see what I mean.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:07 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Well, it wasn't so much a "gift" as it was a "thank you" from a multi-billion dollar corporation that I did a favor for. I'd dig out the thread on the forums here that has the backstory and (IIRC) even has the picture of the knife in it, but it's 2 am and I don't feel like it.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
Well, it wasn't so much a "gift" as it was a "thank you" from a multi-billion dollar corporation that I did a favor for. I'd dig out the thread on the forums here that has the backstory and (IIRC) even has the picture of the knife in it, but it's 2 am and I don't feel like it.
Okay, that's pretty cool! I also think I'd look for uses for a beautifu knive like that.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:05 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I used a yangiba to slice some cookie dough into apricot pinwheels this year. It seemed to work much better than my usual weapon of choice (ham slicer). Mind you, this knife cost me 1% of what Poppinfresh's costs, so I didn't mind trying it against chilled dough.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
Cook

If it was a thank you from a corporation you did something for why do you care about selling it again?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 View Post
If it was a thank you from a corporation you did something for why do you care about selling it again?
Because I'm funny that way. I keep all my gifts, even if I never use them. There are things The Lady of the House has bought me for Christmas that have never even been taken out of their packaging and are over 3 years old :P.

Besides, unlikely as it is, there might come a day when I go on a sashimi kick. I tend to go through phases in styles of cooking I fall in love with. Might also come in handy if I ever find myself in another Hawai'ian fusion phase. It's unlikely on the sashimi front since neither of us in the house are particularly big on it, but one never knows--maybe we'll have company that wants it one day.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Why would you hold out just for sashimi? Do you only use a bread knife for bread? Do you only use a tomato knife for tomatoes? You can use this knife for things other than sashimi. You have a beautiful knife. Put it to use.