"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Bread knife: Yes, actually :P

Tomato knife: I don't have one of those. Ranks up there with a lettuce knife, as far as I'm concerned. Since I predominately use ceramic knives, just about any one of them will work better on a tomato than a tomato knife anyways. None of them have forked tips, but that's an overrated feature, regardless.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Yeah, I actually do just use my knifes for what they're intended for in most cases. I have a pretty expansive collection, so I can get away with it, heh. I have many beautiful knives, I don't really feel inspired to use any of them just for the sake of using them. One thing I could never argue would be an accusation that I'm a knife snob :P

Old 01-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

Well let me tell you that you are missing out. Just because a knife is names a certain thing does not mean that is the only thing it is intended for. You don't use a chefs knife to only cut chefs after all

Seriously though, next time you need to cut a pineapple, try using your bread knife. You will find that just because it has the word bread in it does not mean that is the only thing it should be used for.

You have an amazing knife. It is a shame it might never get used because you might not make sashimi. Of course the decision is all yours, but I just feel sorry for that amazing knife never seeing action on the front lines. That is what it was made for in the first place. Not for sitting in a dark drawer somewhere.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #23
Senior Cook

I don't cut pineapples *wink*

I have one of these things:

http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/images/084256488027.jpg

I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who loves fresh pineapple. Perfect slices all the way through the fruit and it's self-coring.

Heehee.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

OK well you got me there. Those sure are great at cutting and coring pineapples. Still having that knife and not not using it because you do not make sashimi is akin to having a Ferrari, but not driving it because you do not have access to a race track. Just my $.02.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
OK well you got me there. Those sure are great at cutting and coring pineapples. Still having that knife and not not using it because you do not make sashimi is akin to having a Ferrari, but not driving it because you do not have access to a race track. Just my $.02.
Substitute "Ferrari" for "1969 GTO Judge" and you've hit another of my quirks :P. I get the feeling I'd drive you batty if we knew eachother, lol.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

LOL well each of us is different. What is right for me is not right for you. It is your knife after all so as long as you are doing with it what you want then all is right in the world