Proper cutting?? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
Proper cutting?? Help! Wusthof knives

Paul gave me a set of Wusthof knives for Christmas. I love them but... have no idea of the "RIGHT" way to use them. I've been using cheap horrid no name unsharpened pieces of metal for years... and don't think I've been cutting and slicing as much as tearing, ripping and smashing.

Any good advice or websites would be welcome. Thank you!!:) :)

Last edited:
Try this There are diferent technicks on this page. Oof took 10 minutes to make it look right. Can never remeber how to add link in here.

Gee, I just love google...
Do a search on 'knife skills'. The first pick has Alton Brown, and everyone knows how cool he is.

Something to remember is that you want the blade to do the work, not the weight of the knife. And keep your fingers curled in... A cut from a sharp knife heals quicker and easire than a cut from a dull knife.

Practice, too. You're used to the knives you've been using. These will feel unfamiliar at first.

Good luck.

I knew I could count on you guys! Thank you!!

You're so right Vera... these feel so different. It's scary! lol!

Just remember to take your time and respect the knife, lill grashopper. Keep them sharp too, most accidents happen because of dull knives.

lol... Tat.. I think the first accident will happen because these are soooooo sharp! I've never ever ever had a sharp knife before.

Congrats on your new knives! I have a Wusthof myself and I love it dearly, and take the best care of it that I can. Tattrat's link is a really great place to start. It WILL feel uncomfortable at first, but you'll get used to it.

If you want to truly take the best care of your knife that you can, make sure you know how to properly use a steel and learn how to use a sharpening stone. I know a lot of folks send their knives out to be sharpened, but its really very easy, and only take about 5 minutes to do. Its easy and it will protect your blade, and help it to keep a great edge longer.

I actually tried a water stone on my knife for the first time today, and I have to say it really puts a great edge on your blade. Might be something you want to investigate later, but for now focus on just getting comfortable with your knives.

BTW, which set of Wusthof did you get?

PDS - Congrats! A sharp knife is the ultimate tool in the kitchen.

I also use Wusthof knives. I have two pairs of the 8" Chef's Knife and 3.5" Paring Knife from the Cordon Bleu series (similar to the "Classic" line but with a half bolster).
-----
College_Cook - I love wet stones. I was using some old beat up stones until I received a new set for Christmas this year. They are from Norton and work awesome. Great quality.

Here they are...
http://www.nortonstonesstore.com/Store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=10

im200b_kit.jpg

Mine are also from the Cordon Bleu Series. So far I still have all ten fingers!!!

pdswife, now that you got your nice Wusthof set, you probably need a special cookbook with recipes developed exclusively for Wusthof knives. After all such an exclusive set could not be possibly used for cutting, slicing, deboning, etc. food for ordinary run-of-the-mill recipes!!;)

pdswife:

You first homework assignment is to dice everything edible in your kitchen (fingernails not included).

pdswife - I love these knives. I looked and tried a lot of 'em out before settling on the Wusthof Cordon Bleu series. Many people don't like having a half bolster, but it allows you to use the full length of the blade as a slicer much more efficiently, as well as sharpen it with greater ease. The CB series is also a tiny bit thinner than the classics which makes certain tasks easier as well.

Just be sure you hold it correctly and don't let your index finger droop down near the back of the blade's cutting edge. You'll know it if you do! It will be red cabbage for everyone... even if you bought green! :LOL:

Just kidding!
Congrats! :chef: <-(You)

Last edited:
I've never shaved my knuckles and I keep my 10" Chef's knife razor sharp. But I haave nearly sliced off teh tip of my left thumb on repeated occasions. Only strong thumbnails saved me.

As you hold/manipulate veggies such as celery, or carrots, it is very easy to become complacent, overconfident, and not remember to tuck that thumb-tip back and out of harm's way. That's when you learn just how sharp your knife can be, and how efficeintly it cuts through human flesh! Yowch!. Even with strong thumbnails, I drew blood. Watching those thumbs is every bit as important as curling the fingers properly.

Just some advice from a freind who's been there. I always have to re-invent the wheel and learn from my own mistakes. I don't ask for advice often enough. I hope you can learn by our mistakes and not have to go through painful lessons.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Andy M. said:
pdswife:

You first homework assignment is to dice everything edible in your kitchen (fingernails not included).

I like my fingernails whole, but I prefer my finger tips butterflied.

When I first bought my Henckles knives, my left hand slipped on a wet bell pepper and I cleanly sliced off the entire fingernail of my first digit. Hardly any blood at all, but do you have any idea how sensitive the skin underneath a fingernail is? So, Christmas morning, I'm getting my cornbread stuffing reday, slicing through an onion horizontally with my brand new 10-inch Willy, and I let my pinky dangle. Well, the knife slid right through the entire onion and butterflied the tip of my dangling pinky just as smoothly as if I was deveining a shrimp! Took me 45 minutes to stem the bleeding enough where I could wrap it up with gauze and white tape.

Last edited:
I've trimmed my nails more than once. I also tried to shorten the ring finger on my left hand, but didn't take off enough to do the job right. It grew back.

We are going to scare off all would be knife users with our tales of past mistakes. They're all going to be buying that cheap knife advertised on the info-mercials with the slicing guide, or be getting the food processor with a hundred different chopping disks, or even using "gasp" a mandolyn:ohmy: , with the safety food handling device.:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom