"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
Head Chef

Since I use these steak knives for a lot other than steaks, I prefer the non-serrated blade. Wusthof also sells a set of 6 steak knives that are slightly serrated 3/4 towards the top for around $95. These are of slightly higher quality stainless steel. Quite frankly, I too prefer less expensive steak knives. When they no longer sharpen up, I just buy another cheap set.

Also, I discovered that some knife makers add something to the steel during production that makes them much less susceptible to rust stains when put thru the dishwasher. My cheaper set of Wusthof doesn't have this element added to the steel, the next step up in Wusthofs knives do, like the ones listed below.

Amazon.com: Wusthof Gourmet 6-Piece Steak-Knife Set: Wusthof Steak Knives: Kitchen & Dining

Old 11-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Since I use these steak knives for a lot other than steaks, I prefer the non-serrated blade. Wusthof also sells a set of 6 steak knives that are slightly serrated 3/4 towards the top for around $95. These are of slightly higher quality stainless steel. Quite frankly, I too prefer less expensive steak knives. When they no longer sharpen up, I just buy another cheap set.

Amazon.com: Wusthof Gourmet 6-Piece Steak-Knife Set: Wusthof Steak Knives: Kitchen & Dining
The only serrated blades in our house are the bread knives.
Husband actually prefers carbon steel to stainless.
Me, just give me something I hopefully won't cut myself with.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker for all of my knives.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Over time I've replaced all the SS knives with carbon steel knives.

All of them are razor sharp including the knives used for eating at the table.
I sharpen them on an old fashioned wet stone and finish sharpening with a leather strop.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
The only serrated blades in our house are the bread knives.
Husband actually prefers carbon steel to stainless.
Me, just give me something I hopefully won't cut myself with.
Coming, as I do, from a family which includes butchers and hairdressers I can promise you that you are more likely to cut yourself on blunt knives and scissors! Sharp knives, razors and scissors don't slip, dull ones do and are likely to do more damage than really sharp ones.

I've been away for some time so can't remember if I've posted this but the best thing you can have for sharpening knives is a good butcher's steel (not the cheap flimsy one you sometimes get in a knife set or in fancy kitchen shops). I was lucky, my uncle taught me how to use it properly but if you have a good relationship with your butcher and you ask when (s)he isn't busy, I'm sure (s)he will be happy to give you a lesson. He might even be prepared to order one from his suppliers for you if you ask really nicely.

And yes, I agree with the contributors who vote for carbon steel knives but they do take careful looking after.

Incidentally, I'm sure you don't keep your knives in a drawer. I use wooden blocks. My cousin, who is a professional chef, keeps his knives in a canvas roll. I once read that magnetic knife holders can blunt knives (something to do with the magnetic effect) but I don't know if there is any truth in this as I can't find any documentation on-line
Old 01-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #16
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Coming, as I do, from a family which includes butchers and hairdressers I can promise you that you only cut yourself on blunt knives and scissors! Sharp knives, razors and scissors don't slip, dull ones do and are likely to do more damage than really sharp ones.
I will disagree. Dull knives might be easier to have an accident because you are fighting the knife while trying to use it but I have never cut myself on a dull knife by just laying a thumb against the blade.

My gyuto is pretty sharp and I have been know to get lazy thumb while holding it. The thumb rests against the blade and I get cut.

Attention to detail is what keeps one from cutting themselves.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I will disagree. Dull knives might be easier to have an accident because you are fighting the knife while trying to use it but I have never cut myself on a dull knife by just laying a thumb against the blade.

My gyuto is pretty sharp and I have been know to get lazy thumb while holding it. The thumb rests against the blade and I get cut.

Attention to detail is what keeps one from cutting themselves.
I agree. You cut yourself because you weren't paying attention/being careful. As for dull knives vs. sharp knives, dull knife cuts hurt more.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #18
Master Chef

I also have a 3 stage electric Chef's Choice. I use it once or twice a year to give all my knives a nice fresh edge. I bought this pull through for daily sharpening before use and I love it. Gets the knives nice and sharp. I have barely touched the edge several times while cutting or cleaning and have cut myself. Has a fine side for just a hone or a course side if it needs a bit more then just a tune up.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:44 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I just bought 4 Wusthof Gourmet steak knives. I had been using the Edgemaker knife sharping set. The cheaper 4 Kitchenmaid steak knives that just got tossed ($20) I couldn't get the Edgemaker to remove large burrs. I couldn't put a new edge on them no matter how much time I spent. It's probably due to the cheap metal. It's almost like tiny chunks of steel were breaking off the knife edge. It was very obvious without even needing a magnifying glass.[...]

I'm now looking for another hand held pull thru sharpener. Wusthof has one for $19.99. I'd like opinions on pull thru ones you liked, and especially ones you didn't like. Some say their pull thru knife sharpener took off too much steel and put too wide an edge on the side of the blade.
I think you already have the best pull-through sharpener out there. But what you need is a bit beyond the scope of that kind of tool. Once you get chips, major rolls and edge damage you really need to have them sharpened on belts or stones. JMOHO.

Tags
knife