"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2017, 06:39 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,381
I remember as a child the man that walk through the neighborhoods with his knife sharping wheels on a contraption that looked like a modified wheelbarrow. (Yes, I am that old!) Well, about 25 years ago I came across one of those stones in the basement of the building where I lived. It was covered in cobwebs and ages of dust. I don't know why I took it and kept it all these years. But it fascinated me and brought back many memories of taking my mother's knives down to him for sharpening. "Don't Run" my mother would yell at me as I ran out the door with a fistful of knives!

When you hold it under the light, there are the tiniest sparkles in the stone. On the edge where the hole is that slid on the rod that held it, there is a small chip on the stone leaving a rough edge in that spot. The rest of it is really smooth. If I take my knife and run it across that chip a couple of times and then across the smoothness of the round part, I have knives as sharp as that old gentleman pushing his cart could make. I have had the three part electric knife sharpener. Spike now has it. I presently have two non motorized ones. They just sit in the drawer. I prefer my old stone.

Pirate has tried to lay claim to it when he gets his own apartment. I will hit him over the head with it first. He will just have to wait until I am gone. And I may just take it with me.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #22
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,135
Query on Sausage/Sausages

As you probably know by now, I'm a "Food Network" addict. Various America cooks refer to "breakfast sausage".

Are "breakfast sausages" the sort that you/we fry and have with bacon and egg or as sausage and mash, and are made with pork (or sometimes beef), like these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...lish_sausages?

If you're offered bangers and mash in Britain the "bangers" are sausages. They got this name as, in times of shortage (such as during the two world wars) or with cheating sausage makers, a lot of water went into the mix and the sausages were incline to burst noisily - hence "bangers". They've kept to name even though sausages have improved in quality.
__________________

__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,623
Pull thru knife sharpener recommendations again please?

In the USA, breakfast sausages are a specific type of pork sausage primarily seasoned with sage.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,381
It is sometimes called an "Arlington Sausage" in parts of this country also. They are rather small. About size of a rather large woman's middle finger. (No offset or colorful meaning implied!) I have an extremely small hand so I can't go by that. They are lightly seasoned. Even a child could eat them without a turned up nose.

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/...kfast-sausage/

Some cooks remove the casing and flatten them into patties. Or you can buy it in a roll and slice off frozen patties to fry.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #25
Executive Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 3,287
How did we go from pull thru knife sharpeners to sausages?

I ended up buying a "Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Sharp Duo Knife Sharpener."
I like it, but I never use the coarser side as even the "fine" sharpening side tends to take off too much metal if you press too hard while pulling the blade thru. $27.00

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
How did we go from pull thru knife sharpeners to sausages?
I'm guessing Mad Cook posted her question here by mistake, since it sure does seem random.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #27
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
How did we go from pull thru knife sharpeners to sausages?

I ended up buying a "Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Sharp Duo Knife Sharpener."
I like it, but I never use the coarser side as even the "fine" sharpening side tends to take off too much metal if you press too hard while pulling the blade thru. $27.00

Well, it kind of looks like a sausage.


I've been using a Henckels pull through sharpener (just a single stage), but have never been happy with the results. A couple months back ATK offered their recommended electric knife sharpener (Chefs Choice Trizor) for $125 - $130, and I bit. I was startled by the results. I didn't realize just how lousy a job the pull through was doing. No regrets. I sharpened my daughter's knives and she had the same reaction. I figure that if I sharpen a half dozen knives once or twice a year, not to mention the convenience of doing it at home instead of having to take them in, it's a worthwhile investment.

Here's ATK's review:

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #28
Executive Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 3,287
With respect to all makers of manual and electric knife sharpeners, they all kinda fall short. This one talented guy had a knife sharpening table outside a World Market store. Mondays and Thursdays only. He was expert and used a tall belt sander type setup. He would expertly use one belt, then change the belt sander setup with a honing belt. He was good at it too. The store didn't mind, but the city demanded he not just hang out in front of the store, but get a full on city license. He went back to having his business in one central location and making trips to restaurants (appointments) and walk ins. I miss having my knives sharpened SHARP at that nearby supermarket.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #29
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I remember as a child the man that walk through the neighborhoods with his knife sharping wheels on a contraption that looked like a modified wheelbarrow. (Yes, I am that old!) Well, about 25 years ago I came across one of those stones in the basement of the building where I lived. It was covered in cobwebs and ages of dust. I don't know why I took it and kept it all these years. But it fascinated me and brought back many memories of taking my mother's knives down to him for sharpening. "Don't Run" my mother would yell at me as I ran out the door with a fistful of knives!

When you hold it under the light, there are the tiniest sparkles in the stone. On the edge where the hole is that slid on the rod that held it, there is a small chip on the stone leaving a rough edge in that spot. The rest of it is really smooth. If I take my knife and run it across that chip a couple of times and then across the smoothness of the round part, I have knives as sharp as that old gentleman pushing his cart could make. I have had the three part electric knife sharpener. Spike now has it. I presently have two non motorized ones. They just sit in the drawer. I prefer my old stone.

Pirate has tried to lay claim to it when he gets his own apartment. I will hit him over the head with it first. He will just have to wait until I am gone. And I may just take it with me.

You may want to do a quick google search of the term "Moleta". These are the guys who immigrated from Italy to the USA and had their knife sharpening business where they had these grinding wheel to sharpen people's knives.
__________________
Have A Smashing Day!
m2che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #30
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
How did we go from pull thru knife sharpeners to sausages?

I ended up buying a "Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Sharp Duo Knife Sharpener."
I like it, but I never use the coarser side as even the "fine" sharpening side tends to take off too much metal if you press too hard while pulling the blade thru. $27.00

Have you been using that for your thicker styled 20 degree blades? Never seen that model before.
__________________
Have A Smashing Day!
m2che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #31
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
With respect to all makers of manual and electric knife sharpeners, they all kinda fall short. This one talented guy had a knife sharpening table outside a World Market store. Mondays and Thursdays only. He was expert and used a tall belt sander type setup. He would expertly use one belt, then change the belt sander setup with a honing belt. He was good at it too. The store didn't mind, but the city demanded he not just hang out in front of the store, but get a full on city license. He went back to having his business in one central location and making trips to restaurants (appointments) and walk ins. I miss having my knives sharpened SHARP at that nearby supermarket.
If you're looking for an electric sharpener that makes use of a belt as an abrasive, you may want to check out the Ken Onion Work Sharp or even the electric knife and tool sharpener from Work Sharp. It's not like the staged traditional electric knife sharpeners that everyone is familiar with
__________________

__________________
Have A Smashing Day!
m2che is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
knife

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×