"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 09-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
I've never used those, but would be very pleased to receive them as gifts!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Take a look on Amazon. I think spending $200 on steak knives is a real waste--not that the thought isn't generous and terrific. We have some pretty Wusthof or Henkels I think--very shiny stainless. And I have a set of serrated that our son gave us for Christmas 20+ years ago. Use them both, but not the good ones all that often. And you need to have 8, by the way. For pretty knives and good quality, Laguiole is lovely.
How about a couple of really nice kitchen knives--Santoku and a chef? They may "get into cooking" in their new life and you could be the spur.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #13
Master Chef

[quote=So how much do you love your brother?[/quote]

A little more background. My brother is 44 & this is his first time on the marriage-go-round. He's quite good-looking & I've never known him at any time to not have a gorgeous model-type on his arm. This is the first time, however, that someone's been able to snag him - lol!! (I believe this one got him because she's the first woman he's dated who also shares his addiction to golf.) He's my only sibling, & although we're not close-close, I'm thrilled to pieces that he's finally found that "someone".

However, since the fiancee owns her own home & has for some time, this is one of those situations where one definitely doesn't want to inundate them with stuff they already have or don't need. And from what I've heard concerning her attitude towards food (& I know his!), I really don't think they're going to suddenly morph into Jacque Pepin & Julia Child.

What I do know is that they eat a lot of meat - thus my idea for a really nice set of steak knives. Lord only knows what I'm going to get them for a wedding gift - but I have more time to research that nightmare.

I do agree that I'd want to get them more than just a set of 4, which is why that Henckel's set I posted a link to looked sort of nice.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
What I do know is that they eat a lot of meat - thus my idea for a really nice set of steak knives. Lord only knows what I'm going to get them for a wedding gift - but I have more time to research that nightmare.
I think that is a great gift! It's always good to get what someone needs. My wife and I got a book called The Bride and Groom's First Cookbook from one of her friends for a wedding gift. It's very good, and funny too as I remember.

http://www.amazon.com/Bride-Grooms-F...898223?ie=UTF8
Old 09-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #15
Master Chef

Oh - & not that my brother & I are "tit-for-tat" as far as $$$ goes, but he always does send us nice things for birthdays, Xmas, etc. Recently he's taken to researching good restaurants in our area & phoning the places & personally ordering gift certificates to those specific restaurants. In fact, at this moment I'm sitting on $200 worth of dining out at a couple of nice places. So I really would like to send him something nice that he'll definitely use.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I collect knives, and for me, spending a lot on a set of steak knives that are esthetically pleasing as well as functional makes perfect sense, every bit as much as having fine china, crystal, and silverware on my dinner table on special occasions.

I have a set of eight steak knives made by La Coutellerie de Laguiole in France, and they're absolutely beautiful. I get compliments from guests every time I use them. People are wowed by the obvious quality, the beautiful amourette (snakewood) handles, elegant brass bolsters, gleaming razor-sharp blades, and the way these hefty knives feel in their hand. Few people have even seen such elegant knives on the dinner table (some high-end steak houses, such as Prime in the Bellagio in Las Vegas, use them).

A set of six of these knives can retail for up to $500, but you can find them on eBay for under $200.

One caution: I used to import every expensive Laguiole corkscrews, which I sold on eBay for a couple of years, and I became very familiar with the manufacturers. There are at least 15 different brands of Laguiole knives (Laguiole is a city and a style of cutlery, not a brand itself). Some are junk. Look for L'Artisan, Laguiole en Aubrac (a.k.a. Prestige), Arbalete G. David, Fontenille Patuad, and La Forge de Laguiole. Avoid Cepage and Sabatier (horrible junk).

Here's a link to a site that sells several brands of Laguiole knives, although currently they don't list some of those I've recommended, which have gotten very expensive due to the weak dollar: http://tinyurl.com/jblau

Compare prices on eBay, and feel free to ask me about any you're interested in -- as I said, I know these brands very well.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I understand that GUNTER WILLHELM knives are an exceptional value. If I ever get tired of my Henckles set, I will definitely order a complete set of his. In fact, now that I have visited his site again, I notice that he now has an Asian set at an extremely reasonable price and I just may give them a try.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
I collect knives, and for me, spending a lot on a set of steak knives that are esthetically pleasing as well as functional makes perfect sense, every bit as much as having fine china, crystal, and silverware on my dinner table on special occasions.

I have a set of eight steak knives made by La Coutellerie de Laguiole in France, and they're absolutely beautiful. I get compliments from guests every time I use them. People are wowed by the obvious quality, the beautiful amourette (snakewood) handles, elegant brass bolsters, gleaming razor-sharp blades, and the way these hefty knives feel in their hand. Few people have even seen such elegant knives on the dinner table (some high-end steak houses, such as Prime in the Bellagio in Las Vegas, use them).

A set of six of these knives can retail for up to $500, but you can find them on eBay for under $200.

One caution: I used to import every expensive Laguiole corkscrews, which I sold on eBay for a couple of years, and I became very familiar with the manufacturers. There are at least 15 different brands of Laguiole knives (Laguiole is a city and a style of cutlery, not a brand itself). Some are junk. Look for L'Artisan, Laguiole en Aubrac (a.k.a. Prestige), Arbalete G. David, Fontenille Patuad, and La Forge de Laguiole. Avoid Cepage and Sabatier (horrible junk).

Here's a link to a site that sells several brands of Laguiole knives, although currently they don't list some of those I've recommended, which have gotten very expensive due to the weak dollar: http://tinyurl.com/jblau

Compare prices on eBay, and feel free to ask me about any you're interested in -- as I said, I know these brands very well.

These are stunningly beautiful knifes. I have a budget set of these that cut beautifully and have different handles. and they are good enough for me. BUT these are beautiful. I'd get married again, don't tell Husband!, for these with the snakewood handles.

I think its a great present too!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #19
Cook

Quote:
I don't know about the steak knives in particular, but 2 years ago I threw my collection of cheapish to mid-range knives out for a few Henckles knives and I must say they are absolutely great. Well worth their (hefty) price.
Not too well suited for dishwasher enthousiasts though. They're high quality steel but not 18/10 Inox. Either way, I'd be thrilled with such a set.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Laguillole from France or New West Knife Works from Wyoming
www.newwestknifeworks.com I'm a fan of their cutlery.