Question about knives.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
Good Morning

I saw the following question on another forum i am a member of. Maybe somebody here will know how to answer it. The stars used to be swear words, in the original version, so ignore them.

Ok I need a set of chef knives, but there are sooooooooooo many out there. Right now I have some really nice Wuhstof knives, but sharpening them can be a pain in the **** because it has a very pronounced bolster which makes it difficult to get the right angle on whetstones and electric sharpeners (usually leaves a divet over time). And I'd rather use an electric sharpener, cause using a whetstone requires a LOT of time, you have to use three different grades of whetstones, and its really time consuming. So I'm thinking of getting a set of Global knives (they don't have such a big bolster), I would get Kershaw Shun but since I'm left handed I would have to special order them and it would be twice the price. OR I can get some really really **** sweet custom knives, there are Nenox http://www.nenoxusa.com/ , who has affordable ones and expensive ones. If I go with Nenox I think I'll get the G type because its the most affordable. But then there are **** of custom made japanese knives, Hattori, Masamoto, etc. All of which range from affordable to 4,000 per knife. If I go with the japanese knives I was thinking of getting this premade set http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/JCKSpecialKnifeSet.html, but again a lot of times Japanese knives are made for right handed people **** Here is the link to the rest of the crazy japanese knives http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/products.html

If you like Wusthof, they have a half-bolster version with a slightly thinner blade known as the "Cordon Bleu" line. It's what I use, and I love them.

Make sure you try out the Japanese styled knives before you get one. They have more of a flat blade that doesn't rock as nicely as most western chef knives.

Mel! said:
Good Morning

I saw the following question on another forum i am a member of. Maybe somebody here will know how to answer it. The stars used to be swear words, in the original version, so ignore them.

Ok I need a set of chef knives, but there are sooooooooooo many out there. Right now I have some really nice Wuhstof knives, but sharpening them can be a pain in the **** because it has a very pronounced bolster which makes it difficult to get the right angle on whetstones and electric sharpeners (usually leaves a divet over time). And I'd rather use an electric sharpener, cause using a whetstone requires a LOT of time, you have to use three different grades of whetstones, and its really time consuming. So I'm thinking of getting a set of Global knives (they don't have such a big bolster), I would get Kershaw Shun but since I'm left handed I would have to special order them and it would be twice the price. OR I can get some really really **** sweet custom knives, there are Nenox http://www.nenoxusa.com/ , who has affordable ones and expensive ones. If I go with Nenox I think I'll get the G type because its the most affordable. But then there are **** of custom made japanese knives, Hattori, Masamoto, etc. All of which range from affordable to 4,000 per knife. If I go with the japanese knives I was thinking of getting this premade set http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/JCKSpecialKnifeSet.html, but again a lot of times Japanese knives are made for right handed people **** Here is the link to the rest of the crazy japanese knives http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/products.html

The only japanese knives that are for right-handed are the single-beveled ones, that means that it has an edge that is straight on one side and sharpened on the other - westerners are used to double-beveled which most japanese companies also make. Not all japanese knives are "santoku" and they have different knives for different purposes as well... the "chef's knife" shape in a japanese knife is a "gyuto"

first off the knives at the nenox link: you should be able to find a very nice knife at approximately 1/10 to 1/5 the price.

about the jck special set:sounds like a reasonable deal, but who knows. you can't tell the quality of a knife from a picture, or even the price. certainly not from an advertisement.

when i first started my culinary career, i originally bought mostly european, stainless. these days i prefer a softer steel. you have to keep them dry, but i find they sharpen up much more nicely.

two points i'd make: 1 - i wouldn't buy any knife that i couldn't pick up, feel the heft, and ping it to see how it sounds; and 2 - if you're not interested in sharpening a knife well, don't bother blowing your money on an expensive set. they'll only end up being poorly sharpened knives that happen to have cost a small fortune.
icon12.gif

philso said:
two points i'd make: 1 - i wouldn't buy any knife that i couldn't pick up, feel the heft, and ping it to see how it sounds; and 2 - if you're not interested in sharpening a knife well, don't bother blowing your money on an expensive set. they'll only end up being poorly sharpened knives that happen to have cost a small fortune.
icon12.gif

Amen to both points.

Like shoes, don't buy a knife without "trying" it first. Especially a Global knife. Most people either love them or hate them. Me... I hate them, as they are very uncomfortable in my hand. They do stay sharper than Wustohof knives (I use Globals regularly at a relative's house). But, like Philso says, don't buy an expensive knife that you don't intend to care for properly, including sharpening.

If you want an expensive knife that needs the least sharpening, think ceramic.

I have to agree with everyone else. Find a place that will let you handle the knife so you can get a feel for it's heft, how it fits your hand, etc. Whenever someone I work with gets a new knife, or someone new gets hired, and they have different knives, I always politely ask if I can handle it, just to see what the feel of that knife in my hand is like.

IMHO, I think the person that posted the original post on the other board needs to get off their lazy rear and learn to properly sharpen a knife. It only takes me 5 - 10 minutes to properly sharpen one of my knives using my tri-stone setup. Now, if the knife in question is horribly dinged up, or just incredibly dull, it might take longer, but, once your knife is sharp, proper maintenance will keep it sharp.

Check country of Origin

To many times people buy knifes over the internet and think they are getting an awesome deal like on a set of Henkels or Wusthof Tridents. I have had several Chefs Apprentices buy Henkels from an on line source (at a significant price reduction) only to find out that they were made in China instead of Germany and the quality is really poor. Just beware that as my father used to say "If it sound's to good to be true, it probably is".

Chef Mark:chef:

Good morning everyone!!

Thanks very much, for all those replies. I have passed them on, to my friend, at the other forum.

Mel

Seven S said:
The only japanese knives that are for right-handed are the single-beveled ones, that means that it has an edge that is straight on one side and sharpened on the other - westerners are used to double-beveled which most japanese companies also make. Not all japanese knives are "santoku" and they have different knives for different purposes as well... the "chef's knife" shape in a japanese knife is a "gyuto"

I know this post is old, but, the kershaw shun is a double beveled knife, and is made for right and left handed people. It has a bend in it, and the handle is D shaped to fit your hand. Right or Left. I highly recomend this knife, it is incredibly smooth. I have the 8" chef knife.

Back
Top Bottom