"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 05-06-2005, 08:28 AM   #21
Sous Chef

I bought the Wusthof model she used previously, not because she is a celebrity, but because it looked like a really good knife. I've had it about a year and a half now and like it really well. I use it as a dedicated vegetable chopper and use my regular chef's knife for other hacking activities. I don't know if she got anything for all the Wusthof sales she generated, but looking at the Food Network store site, it is fairly obvious she will be getting part of the take on the new knife. Of course the poor girl needs the money - only three books and three television shows to keep her boat afloat.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:20 AM   #22
Master Chef

I admit to having a Wusthof Santoko also, because my co-workers bought it for me.

I would never buy a knife without trying it first.

I like it 'cause it's sharp. I use it probably as much as my chef's knife now.

But, santuko knives are really not for chopping, they are for slicing. Recall that they are originally sushi knives. Their flat blades make basic knife technique (rocking the curved blade) somewhat difficult.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter
... I don't know if she got anything for all the Wusthof sales she generated, but looking at the Food Network store site, it is fairly obvious she will be getting part of the take on the new knife. Of course the poor girl needs the money - only three books and three television shows to keep her boat afloat.

Check this out! She has a bi-monthly magazine in the works too...

Z
Old 05-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh
Check this out! She has a bi-monthly magazine in the works too...
Z
Sheesh, I thought she had three cookbooks, but according to the article she has eleven (11)! I really admire the gal - fountain girl at Ho-Jo's, produce marketing manager, etc. I pick up stuff from her that I use often. Fishing season is coming up and after fishing, cleaning fish and cleaning equipment I don't feel like doing Julia Child's mega-hour Coq Au Vin. I'm particularly fond of her mini-meatloaf and her mini-frittatas. At the rate she's going she'll be honking her horn to pass Martha The Stewart.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:43 AM   #25
Master Chef

Actually that new knife looks good. If only i had money and room for more knives, okay I'm wrong there is always room for more knives.

Oh, and about RR here is an article to consider: http://www.slate.com/id/2122085/?gt1=6666
Old 07-20-2005, 04:12 PM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

Great article Charlie! Thanks!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:44 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to bluespanishsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Actually that new knife looks good. If only i had money and room for more knives, okay I'm wrong there is always room for more knives.

Oh, and about RR here is an article to consider: http://www.slate.com/id/2122085/?gt1=6666
wow thanks for posting that article charlie. I didn't realise there are entire websites devoted to hating rachael ray- it's too bad,i really enjoy her show.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:03 AM   #28

What's The Story? Reality TV or Re-Runs?

Rachel Ray -- She doesn't really "cook" so much as she empties packages, chops stuff up, tosses it together, and heats it.

But she was wearing a huge engagement ring these past months. Now she's not wearing it. What's the story behind all that? Am I seeing re-runs? Or did she break it off?

And $40 bucks a day for food, I can live anywhere!!!
Old 07-29-2005, 01:34 PM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne duLibre
Rachel Ray -- She doesn't really "cook" so much as she empties packages, chops stuff up, tosses it together, and heats it.
Sounds like cooking to me. You just described stir fry, soups, stew, and many other things LOL
Old 07-29-2005, 07:58 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
WHY IN THE NAME OF ALL THE IS RIGHT IN THE WORLD do people care about Rachel Ray or any other celeb (chef or otherwise) other than what they bring to us in entertainment value.

The entire point of her show is that you can put together really tasty dishes fairly easily.

We all do it. I get some good ideas from her show. Other than that I couldn't care less about her engagement or anything else about her.