"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-15-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Recommend Steak Knife set.

Looking to pick up a set of 6 or 8 steak knives. I want to keep it under $100. I would like non-serrated blades. I prefer handles that are not wood. Unless you talk me into wood. I don't like flimsy knives.
What do you suggest?

__________________

Nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
$100 / 6 = $16.67 = garage sale or thrift shop.
__________________

justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
$100 / 6 = $16.67 = garage sale or thrift shop.
$100 set of steak knives? I've never been to a garage sale like that.
__________________
Ravings of an Amateur Foodie
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
OK. Tell me what I must spend.
Nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
OK. Tell me what I must spend.
IMO, your best bet is to go to a kitchen or cutlery store and see what they have available. That way you'll have an opportunity to handle them and decide what you like. 99.9% of steak knife sets have a serrated edge.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
cara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hannover, Germany
Posts: 5,780
I still don't see the function of a steak knife.

If the meat is that tough (?) that I need an extra sharp knife, something is wrong with the meat.

A real good STeak you can cut with a plain knife you use for preparing sandwiches or something like that.... or if it is REAL good meat, a fork is all you need...

Think about your meat supplier if you think you need a steak knife.
__________________
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,410
Cara, I think steak knife is an American thing. I never had one before I came here and I ate plenty of stakes.
Somebody gae us a Wustof set of stake knives I returned them and got some from Target, they were a quarter of the price. I agree with cara if you need an extra special stak knife there is something wrong with you stake. Unless you have no limit with money then by all means you can get as fancy as you wish. Other wise I'd stay with something simple. ANy kitchen store should have good enough set.

Here, how about this one:
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=719
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
Sous Chef
 
Silversage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 926
May I suggest that you do not want to spend an outrageous price on steak knives.

I have excellent kitchen knives, and I'm very protective about who uses them and how they're handled. Obviously, no dishwasher. But it goes beyond that. We only use them on a proper cutting board. Hard countertops, pans, platters, and ceramic dishes are very hard on knives. Everyone automatically tells you to only use cutting boards. We all also know not to throw them in a drawer where the edges will get banged together and dinged. We keep the edges protected in blocks or other protective storage.

But the first thing your guests do with a steak knife is cut on a ceramic plate, hit the bone, and scrape the edge on a fork. At the end of the meal, they pile the flatware together on the plate, doing more damage. It's just part of what a steak knife is for. If I spent a lot on them, I would be running from person to person cutting their food just to protect my knives!

I would look for something more moderately priced, that will look nice with my tableware, and you won't be upset when they take the abuse that is inherent in their purpose. Many of the kitchen stores in the malls and outlets sell attractive, serviceable sets of 4 for about $20.
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #10
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
I read Consumer Reports and several reviews. I finally opted for just a stamped set. I ordered the OXO Professional Series. It was a 14 piece set for $75. So, could have gone cheaper. Could have gone with more expensive liked forged Wustof's or Forchners etc.
Hope they work out.
Nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:39 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Hope you'll be using them on tender boneless steaks. I've read that Oxo's had problems with tang breakage on their steak knives. If this happens to you, you might want to try a Dexter (< $40 ea):
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
I read Consumer Reports and several reviews. I finally opted for just a stamped set. I ordered the OXO Professional Series. It was a 14 piece set for $75. So, could have gone cheaper. Could have gone with more expensive liked forged Wustof's or Forchners etc.
Hope they work out.
Great advice!

To add...As you'll learn from the knife pro's on here, got to keep the knives sharp. A new Ronco knife will be better than a dull shun knife. For $50, from the big auction site I was able to get the pictured Henckels presentation set brand new. They cut great, although there's better stuff out there. I mainly got them for the wow factor, as my guests always seem to be impressed when they get to take their out of the box. You get a "luxury" looking box which also protects the knives when not using. Mindset is, the heavier the better quality, these are heavy even though that statement isn't entirely accurate. Than lastly most everyone ASSUMES Henckels is quality.

As far as cutting, you can find Victorinox's stamped for around $50 on the big auction site as well.

Bacardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
Senior Cook
 
JamesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 264
Chicago Cutlery makes some very inexpensive steak knife sets. I can't vouch for the modern ones, but twenty years ago they were very popular.
JamesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 150
Americas test kitchen recommends cuisinart steak knives - set of four $ 30 , non serated ,I got some and they are better than my henkles . the price i quoted could be off a smig. Regards Gage
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
I still don't see the function of a steak knife.

If the meat is that tough (?) that I need an extra sharp knife, something is wrong with the meat.

A real good STeak you can cut with a plain knife you use for preparing sandwiches or something like that.... or if it is REAL good meat, a fork is all you need...

Think about your meat supplier if you think you need a steak knife.
I do not think the posters are talking about schweinsteak, Cara.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #16
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
May I suggest that you do not want to spend an outrageous price on steak knives.

I have excellent kitchen knives, and I'm very protective about who uses them and how they're handled. Obviously, no dishwasher. But it goes beyond that. We only use them on a proper cutting board. Hard countertops, pans, platters, and ceramic dishes are very hard on knives. Everyone automatically tells you to only use cutting boards. We all also know not to throw them in a drawer where the edges will get banged together and dinged. We keep the edges protected in blocks or other protective storage.

But the first thing your guests do with a steak knife is cut on a ceramic plate, hit the bone, and scrape the edge on a fork. At the end of the meal, they pile the flatware together on the plate, doing more damage. It's just part of what a steak knife is for. If I spent a lot on them, I would be running from person to person cutting their food just to protect my knives!

I would look for something more moderately priced, that will look nice with my tableware, and you won't be upset when they take the abuse that is inherent in their purpose. Many of the kitchen stores in the malls and outlets sell attractive, serviceable sets of 4 for about $20.
I'm in agreement with you on steak knives. I regard then as tableware, not cutlery. The set I now have came from an outlet store for less than $30 for six.

Like you, I have excellent kitchen knives, and they would never go near a metal or ceramic surface. They are scary sharp, used only on a wood cutting board, never open a package, and are washed and dried immediately after use.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
I use the following for my eating-at-a restaurant steak knife. It has better steel than most all of the laguioles, costs less, and is made in Titusville, PA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fandwseries5edition2toothpick.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	11514  
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,709
I can't imagine not having steak knives, certainly table knives won't work on even the tenderest Fillet Mignon.

I have a set of beautiful Laguiole steak knives with pearl handles that I really treasure, and then I have the "every day" ones I think I bought at someplace like Target for under $30.00.

That knife is beautiful Bill !!
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I can't imagine not having steak knives, certainly table knives won't work on even the tenderest Fillet Mignon.

I have a set of beautiful Laguiole steak knives with pearl handles that I really treasure, and then I have the "every day" ones I think I bought at someplace like Target for under $30.00.

That knife is beautiful Bill !!
Thanks, Kayelle, it's one of the last of a dying breed and the 4 1/4" blade is adequate. Very few if any steak joints supply steak knives that are not serrated. I like to slice (not saw) my cooked steak into thin slices.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
I only recommend New West Knife Works. Why? Because it's just the way I am. I kinda figure guys in Jackson Hole Wyoming might know something about steak and knives. And they're on sale right now.
__________________

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×