"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-14-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Recommendations on good chef knives?

I watch these cooking shows (especially Rachael Ray) and see the knives they use are extremely sharp. Currently I use my Chicago Cutlery chef knife and I sharpen it on the supplied sharpening stick about every other day. It still doesn't seem sharp enough. I like the knife that Rachael Ray uses.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good quality knife set? Or at least a brand? I don't mind paying up to $100.00 for a quality chef knife. After all my birthday is coming up soon :D

Old 01-14-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

There are many brands out there that are very good. Chicago Cutlery, from what I have heard, is a good brand at an inexpensive price. I think part of your problem is the "sharpening stick". It is actually called a steel and it does not sharpen the blade, it only hones it. What that means is that it realigns the blade. Every time you use your knife the blade sort of folds over on itself on a microscopic level. The steel straightens it out again. It will not make a dull knife sharp though. It is good that you use the steel often. Actually you should use it ever time you use your knife.

If you like the knives you have and don't want to spend the money on new ones then you might want to take your CC knives to a professional to have them sharpened or by a sharpening system. The one I like is the Lansky system. I find it very easy to use and it takes all the guesswork out of getting a good edge. I paid about $40 for my Lanksy system and I love it.

If you decide that you want to get new knives anyway then there are a ton of good brands. Global, Wustoff, Henkles, and many many others. The most important thing is to hold them in your hand and make sure they are comfortable. It is just like buying shoes. It needs to fit. It doesn't matter how good the knife is, if it doesn't feel right then it is useless.

I am going to move this thread to the Cookware and Accessories heading as it fits better under there.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks GB for moving the thread and your comments. I do have Wustoff steak knives and I like them a lot.

I understand your description of the "steel". I think I would still like to get a good quality chef knife but still have my CC knives sharpened for my wife to use (she burns water :? )
Old 01-14-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

LOL too funny :)

I have Wustoff Grand Prix knives and I love them. They feel perfect in my hand and I like the weight. That is another thing to consider. Some people like a knife with some weight to it and others like a lighter knife. The lighter it is the less fatigued your hands will be after a lot of chopping and stuff like that. For me, that is not a concern because I am never using my knife THAT much that my hands would tire and I do like the feel of a bit of weight. Now if I were cooking professionally that would probably be a different story.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:35 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I like my Henkles' "pro-S" knives Nice weight, quality product. Look at this thread too......http://discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=6586

http://discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=6767
Old 01-14-2005, 05:12 PM   #6
Cook

Send a message via AIM to swinchen Send a message via Skype™ to swinchen
I just got a 10" Shun Kershaw Cook's Knife. I love the thing to death... it is razor sharp and the blade is made of VG-10 steel. With a rockwell hardness between 60-62 this blade should hold it's edge for a really long time. I guess it falls into the "lighter knife" category, which I will admit I would like a bit heavier knife. I guess it doesnt really matter though because I would never thing of hacking up chicken bones with it or anything. The hand is sort of D shaped and I find it very very comfotable.

It is really a personal preference and you could probably start a big debate about which knife is best... but honestly I would tend to lean towards Japanese knife makers. Global, Mac, Shun (kai), etc.

Check out the looks of this though...

http://www.kershawknives.com/kitchen/images/707CRO.jpg
Old 01-14-2005, 05:20 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

That sure is a purdy knife!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 05:31 PM   #8
Cook

Send a message via AIM to swinchen Send a message via Skype™ to swinchen
Another thing I should mention is the bolster (the thick metan where the blad and handle meet). I like knives with an abbreviated bolster. All that means is that the bolster doesnt go all the way to the blade. I have seem some knives with a full bolster that (after a lot of sharpening) the bolster sticks down a little further than the blade and can make shopping things up very tricky.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:35 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinchen
It is really a personal preference and you could probably start a big debate about which knife is best... but honestly I would tend to lean towards Japanese knife makers. Global, Mac, Shun (kai), etc.

Check out the looks of this though...

http://www.kershawknives.com/kitchen/images/707CRO.jpg
It's really not my intent to find out what is the "best" knife. I am just looking for a professional knife and not a consumer knife.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:15 PM   #10
Master Chef

I was given a Croma 10 inch Chef's knife for Christmas 2 years ago. I steel it with each use nad have had to lightly sharpen it 1 time in that 2 years of daily use. It is on the lighter side, but is very sturdy, and slices through everything from the most delicate tomatoes, or meat, to tough rutabega, and acor squash. I have yet to find a food that this knife doesn't move effortlessy through. It's handle is all metal and is blended to the blade seamlessly and so is exceptinally easy to clean. Do a Google search for Croma Cutlery. The knife looks very unique, and the handle design makes chopping, slicing, and general cutting shores supremely simple. I even use the knige for vegetable detailing. Control is just that good.

I love the Shun blade as it has grain and texture, and is a beautiful and formidible steel. But I love the feel and fit of the Croma knife. I purchased my son a Croma Santoku knife (same blade shape as what Rachel Ray uses). He has cooked proffesionaly for several years now, and says that this knife is the finest he has used anywear. He bought a set of proffesional knives from a restaurant supply outfit and says that the knife I got him blows the others out of the water.

I know that knives a very personal thing. My oldest son doesn't like the feel of the Croma. He preffers a more traditional handle, like that found on Henkels, or Wusthoff Triden. But for me, I fell in love at first use with the Croma. It's a $90 + knife, but well worth its price.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote