Rehandled Yoshikane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buzzard767

Sous Chef
Just had my 240mm Yoshikane rehandled by Dave. The wood is spalted tamarind, golden amboyna ferrule (both woods ‘stabilized’ with pentacryl), tung oil finish.... da da da da daaaah, whatever that is. Man, do I ever LOVE this knife. Except for my Takeda, I'm tempted to ebay all the rest of my chef's knives including my ancient Thiers-Issard Sabatiers. It's beautiful, the edge holds as well as Blue or powder, doesn't want to chip, slices like a razor, and makes me smile big time when it's in my hand. Go Yoshie! Yippee!

Did I mention that I like it?????? :cool:

Attachments

• DSCN3506.jpg
    DSCN3506.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 462
  • DSCN3508.jpg
    DSCN3508.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 320
  • DSCN3515.jpg
    DSCN3515.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCN3513.jpg
    DSCN3513.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 377
I freakin' love that handle! That's the one I'd have taken if I was getting a Wa' rehandled. I assume you had him sharpen it while he was at it...;)

I've been thinking of getting a Hiromoto Wa-Gyuto or Wa-Sujihiki and having Dave sharpen it and put a new handle on it. You got my favorite but there's still lots of beauties left.:cool:

Rob - Dave didn't have to sharpen it. I've owned the Yoshie for about three months and only used it in rotation for a week and a half or so. It still has the factory edge. It slices like the devil as evidenced by the see through carrot slices. I like to do lots of chopping and that blade won't go away! The SKD just plain does not want to chip, although I've only used it on a Sani-Tuff rubber board which is as gentle as any board out there.

As for the psychodelic knife (below), it was given to my daughter and son-in-law last Christmas. It's a Hiromoto AS 240mm Gyuto and in my humble home cook's opinion will stand up to any chef's knife at any price. It works. The handle job was done by Butch.

Incidentally, I drank too much Mollydooker last night, pulled the plug, and placed a midnight order for a Kikuichi Elite Carbon 270mm Sujihiki to replace a Tojiro DP. That tip fascinates me and everything I've read says it's the thinnest Suji around - just my style. I might have Butch put a handle on both of those before I'm finished.

Off topic, but if any of you are winos, please do check out the Mollydooker site. I harrassed Sparky and Sarah for over a year to start distributing in Florida and the end result was a distributor direct program, no sales tax outside of California, and free shipping in case lots. The '95 The Boxer was Robert Parker's world's best red wine (RP 96) under $20 and it's worth three times that amount. I own all of their wines, the expensive ones for investment purposes, and the mid and lower priced bottles for my friends' and my pleasure. Sparky & Sarah are super people. I met them last July at a wine tasting here in Naples and on my next trip to Australia definitely plan on visiting their winery.

Buzz - with cigar in hand sans hangover....

Attachments

• WoodysHandle.jpg
    WoodysHandle.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,656
  • WoodysKnife.jpg
    WoodysKnife.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 285
  • Mollydooker Winery.jpg
    Mollydooker Winery.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 281
I almost bought the Harner "Starry Night" with the Micarta handle based on the VanGogh painting but at the last minute decided to pass. I really loved the handle but it wasn't a blade pattern I use a lot, plus I'd just bought a few other knives and didn't wanna blow all my cash. I'm still impatiently waiting for HT Ryerson to get his Original Seven done so he can start building a knife for me!

Is the Tojiro DP you're replacing a Suji? How long?

I'm still impatiently waiting for HT Ryerson to get his Original Seven done so he can start building a knife for me!

Is the Tojiro DP you're replacing a Suji? How long?

Yeah, a Toji 270 Suji.

H.T. is working on a prototype for the pass around. His original is shown in the pic but he doesn't like it so he's still grinding away to get it right before he starts mass producing. The handle sucks too so that is also being changed.

You might want to wait until he gets off the ground. He told me that he has a nice inventory of exotic woods for customs/one offs.....

edit - this handle looks like leopardwood.

Attachments

• Reyerson Prototype.jpg
    Reyerson Prototype.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Yeah, he needs to tweak that one. A suji shouldn't have a belly like a gyuto but it shouldn't be that flat either. I'm eager to see the finished product- he seems to love knives and does great work.

Btw, does Butch have a price list for services like rehandling? I like his work and wouldnt mind having him to a couple for me, assuming it's a service he offers and not a one-of for a buddy.

Btw, does Butch have a price list for services like rehandling? I like his work and wouldnt mind having him to a couple for me, assuming it's a service he offers and not a one-of for a buddy.

Have not seen a price list. PM him on KF. I think he told me that prices needed to go up a tad but the hippie thingie he did for me last fall was relatively inexpensive and his workmanship - first rate. I gave him a little extra gratus for doing a rush job and shipping the knife direct to my sis in Wisconsin so it would be there for Christmas.

gotta go so I can be back in time for the Masters par 3 tourney on ESPN at 3 EDT

Just curious, Buzz- you still have the Yoshikane? Where you did you originally buy the knife, TBT?

Whoa. Thread resurrection. TBT is correct. If I recall, it was a few bucks less expensive than other sites. Also, TBT is where I bought all the Sabs to ebay, nice people. Yes, I still have it. It's truly a great knife and I'll probably gift it in my will. :rolleyes: I've read some threads about its needing to be thinned but I'm not convinced. I've used it side by side with my Takeda which is very thin and I really don't see any difference. Both are kept very sharp so perhaps there would be a difference in cutting were they both somewhat dull. Then again, that's not gonna happen in my kitchen. :)

Buzz

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom