"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I got one last week after reading this thread its great but like AndyM said go easy on this baby.I was shocked how well it works. a few light strokes and you are done I think it works much better than my Chefs Choice electric sharpener I would try and try on that thing and never got my knives that sharp.How amazing this little thing works so well.They also make one for sharpening scissors but I could not find that one where I live.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The non-adjustability of the edge would be an issue for me
I think so, too. I was under the impression that German/European and Japanese/Asian knives had different edge angles. Has anyone else heard that?

Old 07-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I bought one of these last night on my way home. I decided to sharpen all my dull knives (there were about 8 of them). It sharpened all but one to razor-sharp status.

The one it had problems with was a hunting knife. It was able to sharpen the tip and the base, but for some reason the middle only gets mildly sharp. Oh well, it's not like I've ever used the knife before.

Overall I'm quite happy with it. I sharpened 8 knives in the time it usually took me to satisfactorily sharpen one using stones.

p.s. - I picked mine up for $9 at the local sporting goods store. They charge an extra $1 for the camo version.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
Executive Chef

this is the thing that the guy sells on TV by yelling at you?? But Wait...really???
Old 07-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodstorm
I think so, too. I was under the impression that German/European and Japanese/Asian knives had different edge angles. Has anyone else heard that?
You better believe it. Most Euro knives are around 25 degrees per side and some even less acute than that. Japanese knives are generally beveled at 15 to 16 degrees per side. Slide those blades through this sharpener and you just lost the edge for which you paid so much extra. And, when you give the knife to a pro to bring back the original edge, a lot of metal will need to be removed. What a waste. Or, buy a Shun electric sharpener. They are set at 16 degrees, just like all their knives.

Buzz
Old 07-27-2007, 10:15 PM   #16
Senior Cook

i might have to buy one of these for my cheap-o knives... but i'll still send my "expensive" knives to the pros.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:59 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef
i might have to buy one of these for my cheap-o knives... but i'll still send my "expensive" knives to the pros.
Right you are. If you have your knives often sharpened professionally it might be cost effective to get yourself an EdgePro. Also, get a wood mounted strop and 1/2 micron cromium oxide here. I promise you an edge like you have never before seen. Good commercial sharpeners have EdgePros in their equipment inventory because they produce as close to a perfect edge angle as you can get. No guessing.

Buzz
Old 08-01-2007, 02:52 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

I didn't know that European and Asian knives had different edge angles. Thank you buzzard767 for very useful information.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I've changed my mind

Just wanted to update my position on this device. I used this on my 8" chef's knife (mid-level quality), it got very sharp, but it also felt like it had a rougher edge than when I used my Lansky system. Well, the edge came off of it within two months and I had to re-sharpen my knife.

When I used my Lansky system in the past, I wasn't using proper sharpening technique (unbeknownst to me), so the accusharp seemed like it did a better job in less time. This time, I found a tutorial on proper sharpening technique before I sharpened my knife. Well, there is a world of difference. I haven't had a chance to see how long the edge will last, but my cuts feel smoother and so does the blade edge. The accusharp is great for pocket knives, but I'll never use it on my kitchen knives again! (ok, maybe my cheap paring knives).
Old 10-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle Tom View Post
They charge an extra $1 for the camo version.
Fergit that. I'd never be able to find it!