Ronco Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RockAndFire

Assistant Cook
I know you've seen the last night infomercials for these knives. They cut everything from concrete blocks to soda cans with them, and they can still slice cleanly through a tomato. You can get a "25 pc. set" from www.ronco.com for 39.99. I know this goes against all the rules of the cost of knives (I have a Henckles chef's knife that cost me around 2 of those Ronco sets) but I found myself extremly limited by the knives I have right now (a utility knife, boning knife, and the forementioned chef's knife). Do you think these Ronco's are ok? They have a lifetime replacement guarantee on them, so I don't think they could be that terrible. If I had the money, I'd get a nice set but I just moved into an apartment, and I'm slowly expanding my kitchen arsenal. So, Ronco ok?

I know a lot of people will faint when I say this, but I don't see anything wrong with getting the Ronco knives. I have some good quality knives, which I use a lot, and I also have a Ronco type set that someone gave me as a wedding gift. I use those quite a bit. They are light-weight and flimsy feeling, but they are also very sharp.

:) Barbara

Its just marketing. Go to your local store and get a set for $20. They will do just fine. The lifetime guarantee..... its BS. They wont be making these knives in 5 or 6 years from now. They KNOW that you rather just toss the knife than call for a new one. PLUS they make you send in the knife! YOU have to pay for the shiping. And they will determine if you will get a new one. :? What a rip! There are knifes at Target that are just as good if not better. Dont fall for the infomercial. ;)

I do want to add that what Deadly Sushi said is true--you can get the same quality knives at WalMart or Target and not have to deal with shipping costs. The set that was given to me was probably bought at WalMart, and they are similar to the Ronco knives.

:) Barbara

Thanks for the input. I went to Walmart and they had a nice 14 pc. Chicago Cutlery set for 29 dollars, so I went with that. Didn't include a bread knife :cry: but other than that it's nice enough. Now it's time to save up for some Calphalon : )

The answer to your bread knife requirement is a FORSCHNER 10" .I don't know where you are but here they are carried by the stores that supply the fishermen. I have had a bread knife of theirs for about 27 years. It still cuts my loaves great. Todays cost for that knife ie less than 30 bucks [US]. A link to read about knife reviews that I trust the info is: http://www.knifemerchant.com/ .

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom