"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Head Chef

Samurai Shark sharpener?

I've read a lot of nitemare stories about being double billed ordering it.

It's available at Linen and Things, Wallgreens, and Bed Bath and Beyond for
$9.99.

I'm thinking of getting one just to use on my serrated knife that I've had for
20 years and never had sharpened.

Anyone here bought one and not think it's a piece of junk?

Old 06-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Can you provide a link?

Old 06-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Head Chef

"Hi...Billy Mays Here!

SAMURAI SHARK - Taylor Gifts
Old 06-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Head Chef

I'd advise to you to steer clear. It's a variation of the tungsten carbide "V" sharpener, and it will remove a lot of metal. The prep/banquet guy at my last job had one. It worked okay on cheap knives made of relatively soft steel but it created piles of metal shavings.

If you want something that will do a good job on serrated knives without removing too much metal, try one of these.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon
I've read a lot of nitemare stories about being double billed ordering it.
LOL - you buy one and get a 2nd one for free ... "just pay seperate shipping and handeling!" There have been cases where the S&H on the 2nd free item cost more than the original item with S&H. I don't remember what the item was - but I remember there was a case of this "2nd one free" that costs $19.99 - and the S&H on the free item was $35!

Quote:
It's available at Linen and Things, Wallgreens, and Bed Bath and Beyond for $9.99.
If you buy one - this is the way to go.

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting one just to use on my serrated knife that I've had for 20 years and never had sharpened.
While I totally agree with Rob about it being a variation of the tungsten carbide "V" sharpener, and it will remove a lot of metal - if you have a knife that has not been sharpened in 20 years ... you're going to be removing some metal no matter how you sharpen it.

Of course - a lot depends on the knife. My aunt had a Gensu (sp?) chef's knife that was about that old and had never been sharpened. My step-dad spent 3-4 hours trying to sharpen it - it still had metal "fold-over" problems. The metal was too hard to sharpen with his stone. I brought my tungsten carbide sharpener over the next day (I seldom use it - gift from one of my sons - I use an oil-stone and do it by hand) and it stripped off the metal that allowed it to be sharp again.

I would not use one of these on a really good quality knife. For a $20 knife ... or one that is labeled "stainless steel - never needs sharpening" - I would.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Head Chef

I just ordered the Edgemaker set that Rob Babcock mentioned.
To sharpen my serrated knife and my others. $29.99 Free Shipping.
Can't wait to try them out.

BTW, here is a link showing the set of Edgemakers in action:
Movie

I had been using the Furi Fingers for my other knives, works well.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Head Chef

I have used the edgemaker pro for a couple of months based on recommendations on this forum. It seems to me to be a serviceable tool that does what it says with a quick learning curve. Thanks for the advice on the video.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:26 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I just ordered the Edgemaker set that Rob Babcock mentioned.
To sharpen my serrated knife and my others. $29.99 Free Shipping.
Can't wait to try them out.

I'm eager to see how you like them. As those of you who've heard me talk about sharpening over the years may know I'm a fan of water stones and do most of my sharpening (at least my higher-end knives) on water stones freehand or an EdgePro Apex. I do touchups with a Spyderco Sharpmaker and/or a ceramic or glass hone. But the Edgemaker Pro is very hard to beat under the right circumstances. First, it does a tremendous job with soft-to-medium steels. It's great for the type of inexpensive knives most commercial kitchens use. I've also had great luck sharpening Forschner Fibrox knives with it.

Honestly, if you use it properly it will put a pretty keen edge on any decent knife. And the learning curve, as Bigjim68 points out, is near zero. I've taken dull Chicago cutlery knives at work to an edge that will delaminate paper (ie fillet it into layers) in two or three minutes.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:36 AM   #9
Head Chef

I'm nowhere near the expertise of sharpening a blade with stones or that dealy "edge" sharpening device that looks like a medical device.

I will try the "shave" paper test with edgemaker.

However, I get a huge feeling that no matter what, it starts with a quality metal knife to begin with.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
Head Chef

I think that you are right about starting with quality. You cannot produce a quality steak from a bad piece of meat. So to with knives. My Edgemeker is used on a set of 50 year old Forschners They are now as sharp as they have ever been. I now have a few Japanese knives which I intend to sharpen on waterstones. These were sharper out of the box. This will be a real learning curve for me.