Sanelli knives - anyone here use them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last nite I ordered some 3M Micro abrasive sheets from Lee Valley. I got the PSA type in 15µ & 5µ plus a couple sheets of non-PSA 0.5µ Chromium Oxide (they don't have it in PSA anymore). My plan is to experiment with them as polish tapes for my Apex. Wish the 0.5µ was PSA but I'll find a way to mount it.

Rob - I thought I had .5 PSA but it's not, it's .3 and I got it here. For .5 on the Apex get some glass blanks from Ben Dale, attach a 6000 grit tape and apply liquid CrO. Or, go to the pharmacy and pick up some 3M NexCare Gentle Paper Tape in the 1" width size. I've started to play around with other versions of 1" tape as well.

Edit - Diamond pastes in a variety of grits down to .1 micron can be had here. .1 Micron = 0.000003937007874015748 inch, difficult to comprehend but anything you polish will show all your pimples in the reflection. LOL

Last edited:
Rob - I thought I had .5 PSA but it's not, it's .3 and I got it here. For .5 on the Apex get some glass blanks from Ben Dale, attach a 6000 grit tape and apply liquid CrO. Or, go to the pharmacy and pick up some 3M NexCare Gentle Paper Tape in the 1" width size. I've started to play around with other versions of 1" tape as well.

Edit - Diamond pastes in a variety of grits down to .1 micron can be had here. .1 Micron = 0.000003937007874015748 inch, difficult to comprehend but anything you polish will show all your pimples in the reflection. LOL

Thanks for the link, Buzz. I wish I'd seen it yesterday- I just ordered a couple sheets of non-PSA.:wacko: How do you like the stuff? I don't have a glass blank yet, I really should order one soon.

How does the DIY cut-it-from-a-sheet PSA stack up vs the polishing tape Ben sells?

Thanks for the link, Buzz. I wish I'd seen it yesterday- I just ordered a couple sheets of non-PSA.:wacko: How do you like the stuff? I don't have a glass blank yet, I really should order one soon.

How does the DIY cut-it-from-a-sheet PSA stack up vs the polishing tape Ben sells?

I'm undecided. Nothing stands out and says "I'm the best". I've gone all the way to .1 micron diamond paste on paper on glass and don't feel that it push cuts any better than .5 CrO on leather. I think it's a skills problem. I don't go all the way like that very often so I'm short of practise. I'll keep at it though. the edges get so shiny they darn near glow in the dark. :-p

Sanelli Knives
mario batali uses these knives on iron chef america sometimes.
just wondering if anyone here has them or has used them...

We have a set of Henckels, a few Kyocera ceramic knives, and a set of Sanelli Premana knives (the ones with the green handles). I've used them all extensively but find that the Sanelli's are my 'go to' knives that I instinctively reach for. They seem to have superior edge holding ability and they feel good in the hand. Here is a web page that gives more info on them
Sanelli Premana Knife Construction

I use a diamond coated rod sharpener giving them a few strokes before use. Seems to work quite well with the convex edge blades. They have stayed very sharp for several years.

Ya im into the sanelli, they really make up for not having a bolster with the handle shape.

Back
Top Bottom