"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-09-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via AIM to swinchen Send a message via Skype™ to swinchen
Santa Was Nice To Me - 10" Shun Kershaw Cook's Knife

Woo Hoo!

I got a 10" Shun Kershaw Cook's Knife for christmas. What a merry christmas it was!

Since this is my first real knife I don't own a steel. Any recommendations? I am thinking of a 11" F. Dick Multicut.

Thanks!

Sam

Old 01-10-2005, 01:25 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I know nothing about knives... except to know that the ones I have don't cut anything...

any recommendations on good ones??

Old 01-10-2005, 03:26 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I was given a 20cm Furi (Australian brand) Cook's Knife shown here for Christmas.

I was originally tossing up between this and a 20cm Global cook's knife. I chose this one because I like a little bit of weight in my larger knives (not that this is by any means heavy) and the Global was just too light, plus this knife had a better feel in my hand than the Global.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:14 AM   #4
Master Chef

Is that the Shun cutlery with the Damascus Steel blade? :D Those knives look tremendous. I have my Croma/Porsche 10" Chef's that I got the Christmas before (still love the thing). I don't understand why, but the directions said to never steel the knife. I steel it before and after each use and it's razor sharp. I've lightly sharpened it once since I got it. The steel I use is the one that came with a set of 3 Chicago Cutlery knives way back in 1978. It has a garder grade steel than many I've seen, with very small ridges that run the length of the steel. I use the method I heard a few months back by a proffesional chef on Public Radio. He said to lightly run the knife edge forward along the steel starting at the blade heel, and running to the tip. You steel the knife 5 times on one side, at about a 30 degree angle, then do the same on the opposite side. Repeat the process, but for 4 strokes, then 3, then 2, and finally, one last stroke on each side of the blade. This is the best technique I used to date, and propbably produces the least wear on my blade as the strokes are very light. It is highy effective.

I've had other brands of steels, cheap ones, that as I slid the knife edge forward, it cut into the softer steel and messed up the knife edge. So look for a stain-resistant carbon steel, with a moderate grain. And remember, it isn't a tool to sharpen, but to hone, or reallign the edge.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:52 AM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Is that the Shun cutlery with the Damascus Steel blade? ...
Thats the one!
It is so sharp that I was chopping up an onion and (ok... I wasn't used to the knife) and I started to cut through my fingernail and I didn't even notice it... until it got under the nail.... very painful.

That is strange they said never to steel it. My first thought was ceramic blade... but that doesnt make sense. huh.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:33 PM   #6
Master Chef

I hope you get as much satisfaction from your extraordinary knife as I do from mine. But with yours, I'd be tempted to place it on a stand over the fireplace mantle, if I had a fireplace of course. That thing is a piece of art. :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
I hope you get as much satisfaction from your extraordinary knife as I do from mine. But with yours, I'd be tempted to place it on a stand over the fireplace mantle, if I had a fireplace of course. That thing is a piece of art. :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Why thank you :) I am pretty happy with it... as long as I dont slice myself up too badly.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:04 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I'm jealous. I love the Shun knives...

Knives are the area I really can use an update to my kitchen gear. When I first started cooking, a set of knives was the first thing I went out and bought and I knew nothing of quality kitchen gear at the time. Now I don't exactly regret my choice, for the (low) price my knives have held up well but they are not as nice as they would have been if I had educated myself a little more about them before I bought them. Now, they aren't in bad enough shape that I feel justified in replacing them (heck, they are actually in great shape and do work well) but they just aren't what I'd like if I was to start from scratch now.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:00 PM   #9
Master Chef

Boy, am I jealous!

I don't know why they said not the steel the blade .... Kershaw has instructions on their website for steeling a blade. And, their "spoksman" Alton Brown even said, "I’ve had a 10 inch chef’s knife now for six months and I’ve been able to maintain the edge with little more than gentle steeling." Read the rest of his comments at: http://www.altonbrown.com/pages/kershaw.html

If you have a knife store in your area, such as something like a "House of Knives", "Blade City", etc. ... it would be worth taking the knife with you and talking to them about a steel. These guys are passionate about knives and will be glad to help you maintain it properly.

I'm guessing that a simple steel would be much better for you than the "multicut" steel - especially since this is your first experience. That 11" F. Dick Multicut does more than just steel ...
Old 01-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I'm guessing that a simple steel would be much better for you than the "multicut" steel - especially since this is your first experience. That 11" F. Dick Multicut does more than just steel ...
Ok, thanks for the tip. THe only reason I was looking at that one was because I saw an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown and that is what he liked. Might not be best for me though.