Santoku as chef's knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unless you know how to properly use sharpening stones, then I would either have your knives done by a pro or get a sharpening system like GB said. I've been taught how to use a stone, but I know that if the angle I hold my blade is only slightly off, I can dull or damage my knife rather than sharpen it. I use my steel every time I use my knife. Just a few strokes after you wash/dry is sufficient. Sometimes if I'm at work and using my knife to take apart chickens or just using my knife constantly over a period of hours, I may use my steel more than once in a day.

Depending how you use your knife, you may need to have it sharpened anywhere from once every 4 months to once a year.

The primary difference between a simple sharpening stone and a sharpening "system" is the guide that ensures a proper angle.

Sharpening systems employ sharpening stones and incorporate a guide to ensure you are sharpening at the angle you want, rather than guessing at the angle as you do with a simple sharpening stone.

So, if you want to do it yourself, but haven't been trained in the proper use of a simple stone, get a sharpening system that takes the guesswork out of the process.

In a short period of time, the system will pay for itself.

Mac Pro series Santoku - 2 thumbs up!

I recently purchased a MAC Professional series 6.5" Mighty Santoku knife. This knife is awesome. My chef knives are resting in the drawer. This knife is very, very fast and will fine chop a mound onions, celery, and bell peppers in the blink of an eye. This knife will also chip 5lbs of potatoes quickly and with no effort.

Comfort, edge retention, balance are exceptional. Don't just try any Santoku try a MAC Pro Santoku. You will be amazed. :)

I LOVE my santoku. Use it almost exclusively. Have several chef's knives. Use them when they are more appropriate--mainly for a heavier job like cutting bone.

Santoku vs. Chef Knife

I love my Santoku knife because it's only one month old an is very sharp. It is great for slicing and dicing but if you like the rolling action of mincing then you should opt for the chef knife. I have to sharpen my chef knife but I used it a lot before I got my Santoku knife. It truly is a personal preference based on experience. As people have mentioned, if you can get both the chef and Santoku it would be best. Either one can double as the bread and tomato knife if they're kept sharp. Personally, I think the bread knife is far limited in function than the other two knives.

Personal Choice

Really it all comes down to personal choice. Chef's knife is also called a cooks knife so really it is all a title and anyone saying otherwise is hooked on titles and not on preference. I prefer a Asian "Chef's" Knife to a traditional chef's knife. I like the Santoku and have found personally that they work better. I have all three mentioned and more often use the asian knife as it is lighter and easier to handle. But again it is personal choice.

Next of course comes what BRAND to buy and are you a brand junkie or do you really look for a good to premium grade knife. So look around and use your own judgement on the matter and if you don't like what you bought then you can do like the rest of us and go try something else until you find what works best for "YOU". :sick:

Back
Top Bottom