Santoku blade knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phaedra

Sous Chef
Having been looking for some new knives without much success [heft and ease of handling being the main problems] I recently bought some knives with Santoku style blades which fit the bill perfectly.

Does anyone have any comments, positive or negative, about this style of blade?

Phaedra

Lots of folks love them. If you are comfortable using them, there is no reason not to. They do it all except maybe chopping through small bones.

I think it comes down to personal preference. Mrs .40 has a couple of Santoku in 8 and 6 inch and she really likes them.

I find myself reaching for my chef's knife most often. I'm just more used to chef style blades.

Last edited:
I love mine, and have used it for several years. In fact, I use it nearly exclusively. Personally, I see it replacing the inferior designed chef knife in the future. It does all that a chef knife does, and more.
Ducking and running, ahead of the flying tomatoes.

I love mine, and have used it for several years. In fact, I use it nearly exclusively. Personally, I see it replacing the inferior designed chef knife in the future. It does all that a chef knife does, and more.
Ducking and running, ahead of the flying tomatoes.

You may be right and well said. Most wheels produced today don't have wooden spokes. But they are still round. Things change.

Lots of folks love them. If you are comfortable using them, there is no reason not to. They do it all except maybe chopping through small bones.

I'd bought a number of different makes/styles of knives in the past and then found they were useless or just didn't suit me, and had ended up with "not perfect but the best of the bunch" - not really ideal.

I now have three Santuko style knives, 7" 5" and 3" and they do just about everything I need [I have a Chinese hacker for chopping through small bones].

The knives appear heavy for their size but the heft is perfect, and in spite of my rather weak arms/wrists/arms the rubberised handles don't slip in my hand, even when wet, which is, for me, a great safety factor.

It is very reassuring to read of other people liking this type of blade.
happy-051.gif

Phaedra

Given your specific needs, you have found the best solution for yourself. That's all that really matters.

I've got one. It's OK, but I prefer longer Chef's style knives for most productivity work. I do like the santoku as a cheese knife.

In all honesty, my santoku no longer has a home in my knife block and it has been stored away for my daughter to use. She likes it pretty well.

I have couple, can't say much about it, I've stoped using them. I'd rather use cleaver if I need something of that kind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom