"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Santoku knife

I have replace all of my kitchen knives, or will have by the end of the week. One knife that I've never had is the Santoku and I've been thinking about getting one.
If I decide to do this that leaves one open issue, I can't decide if the 7" or 5" would be the better choice.
Does anyone have any pros/cons for either size of this knife?

Thanks

Old 01-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It really depends on what fits in your hand and the weight you like. Personally I like an 8" Santoku, perfect for slicing, dicing and chopping. The smaller knives are not as useful, I have a 5" Santoku that is used just like a paring knife. Anything bigger and I can't control it.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with the Princess all the way.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
Wine Guy

About 7 years ago I bought a nice Shun 8-inch Santoku (I have kind of large clumsy hands). At first, it sat in the drawer because I didn't care for the somewhat flat blade edge. I had been brought up using a rocking motion to cut vegetables, which seemed better suited to a standard European chef's knife, due to the rounded edge. The Santoku felt a little awkward by comparison.

Anyway, we had some kind of event at the house where I needed some kitchen help, and so I started handing out knives and cutting boards to people. All that was left for me was the Santoku (sorry, but I wasn't going to hand a $200 knife to people I didn't know real well). Again, it felt clumsy at first. But I found that by rocking it more on the tip, I could get the same sort of technique as with the chef's knife. And the more I used it, the better it felt. You definitely get a little better sense of control over the shorter, thicker blade. And speaking of the blade, the blade on this thing is wickedly sharp. Onions and carrots quiver at the sight of this knife.

Before long I was using for all my vegetable prep work. I still don't care for the shorter blade quite as much when cubing large cuts of meat for stews and what not, but for most everything else it rocks!

The only thing I will add is that you MUST have it sharpened by someone who understands the angle of Japanese knife blades. Or buy a sharpener with the correct angle. I didn't understand this at first, and almost ruined the knife when I sharpened it the first time. I ended up having to send it to a manufacturer-sanctioned sharpener to have the blade re-honed. Now that I know, I do it myself.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks all, I decided to go with the 7" Santoku from the Henckels International Classsic Series since I have been replacing all of my knives with that series and love them, a couple more to go and they should be here tomorrow.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

That's the one I have. I love it.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's the one I have. I love it.
Good to hear. I've just finished putting together a set of Henckels International Classic to replace my old stuff. Well almost finished, the last two knives are due here on tomorrow. So far I love them all.
I struggled with want to get for a long time and finally decided on these as a great compromise of cost and quality.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
Head Chef

Good choice, you will use it often and grow to love it.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
Master Chef

My SousChef (husband) and I each have our own 7" Santoku knives. Both fit our hands perfectly and we use them nearly exclusively. My chef knife hasn't been used for years.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
My SousChef (husband) and I each have our own 7" Santoku knives. Both fit our hands perfectly and we use them nearly exclusively. My chef knife hasn't been used for years.
I doubt that I'll be giving up my Chefs knife but it will be sharing duties with the Santoku. I think I'll be loving them both.

Tags
knife