"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I wasn't going to post in this thread because Santokus aren't my bag. I changed my mind when I saw the Nakiri recommended. A Nakiri is vegetable slicing only. That's all they're good for. Santoku means three virtues in Japanese, that being vegetables, fish, and meat. Yes they work, but do you need one? A Santoku can do 50% of what a Gyuto (Chef's knife) can do whereas a Gyuto can do 100% of what a Santoku can do and much more. I can get along just fine with nothing more than a 240mm (9.4") Gyuto and a Messermeister serrated peeler. Properly sharpened it slices meat, slices and chops vegetables, and goes through bread as easily as a dedicated serrated or scalloped slicer. Oh, Gyuto means cow sword. It was original made for butchering. They just didn't realize at the time that they had invented the most versatile kitchen knife in the world. Concerning the brands mentioned in the original post, I wouldn't buy any one of them. There are quite a few knives that are both better and fall within your budget.

Buzz

Old 02-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

thanks everybody for your replies...
i see you all suggest a Gyuto… so… can any of you suggest a specific model or brand? Do you own one that you are really satisfied by???
I did a quick research and these knifes go way up in prices… so I really need your opinion because I am kinda new in chef’s knifes…

Old 02-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
Head Chef

I'm partial to Hattori:

This place has good prices, but they seem to be out of Gyutos at the moment: CLICK ME (scroll down for the kitchen knives).

Masahiro is a good value, IMHO, if you decide on a Santoku:

Check this site: CLICK ME
Old 02-07-2009, 03:39 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I've been happy with this santoku.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:42 AM   #15
Head Chef

Very nice, DrT. I've seen them at JWW and the price is right. Is that where you got yours?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #16
Senior Cook

It is indeed!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cezzz View Post
Hey Scotch nice knives ha!! But they're expensive, I like the one that preferred by dr.t the price is good.. Any one who knows a great deal? How about the site below? Sire you'll love the price.
The Masahiro is only a couple of bucks more and I think it may be a better knife. If nothing else, I much prefer the more western-style handle.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_thess View Post
thanks everybody for your replies...
i see you all suggest a Gyuto… so… can any of you suggest a specific model or brand? Do you own one that you are really satisfied by???
I did a quick research and these knifes go way up in prices… so I really need your opinion because I am kinda new in chef’s knifes…

What is your price range?

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:47 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

DrThunder88's Tosagata is a great knife but it would probably be harder to maintain.... I would mean that I think it would have a bigger chance of getting rust and also change the taste and color of foods if you don't know how to maintain it. It depends on what kind of knife user you are and if you are going to take the time to properly maintain it. You can be better off with something that wouldn't stain if you answered no. I personally would get a gyuto than a santoku. It depends on what you use it for. They are both pretty much the same thing except for size. I think the santoku is usually around 7 inches and that's like max. The gyuto is the same knife except longer. I would get one without the scalloped edging though. That stuff don't really do anything. It's all just for looks. If anything, it's just minimal performance effect. You are better off just sharpening your knife to a really sharp edge. Plus once you sharpen it down to the scalloped edging, then that's pretty much about it for the knife.... time for a new one.... I'm a professional sushi chef and I noticed that the fish and all the sushi rolls (the rice) just gets stuck to the knife. I cut the rolls and the rice fills up the indentions. Fish seem to tear more easily.