"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Santoku knife reviews?

I'm looking into purchasing a Santoku knife to replace my old Cutco chef's knife. The one I'm looking at is this: Henckels Twin Cuisine 7-Inch Hollow-Edge Santoku

Does anyone know if this is a good knive or not? I'm not very familiar with all of Henckels' product lines (Twin Cermax, Twin Select, Twin Cuisine, etc.), but it seems as though the Twin Cuisine line is maybe the 3rd best? Not sure on that..

Just wondering if anybody had any opinions/reviews before I make my purchase. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Executive Chef

It's a very, very good knife. I have the Henckles Pro-S 7" santoku which is in effect the same blade, but the handle is different. You won't be disappointed as long as you take care of it.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

When I took my sister knife shopping, she handled a dozen knives and chose the Henckels Pro S. She has been very happy with it.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982
Does anyone know if this is a good knive or not? I'm not very familiar with all of Henckels' product lines (Twin Cermax, Twin Select, Twin Cuisine, etc.), but it seems as though the Twin Cuisine line is maybe the 3rd best? Not sure on that..

Just wondering if anybody had any opinions/reviews before I make my purchase. Thanks!
That, I'm not sure of. But I think they market their Pro-S and 5-Star as their two top of the line styles. As long as you're getting one of their single forged, ice-hardened friodur high-carbon blades, the handle of the knife is simply ergonomics. Get whichever one you feel comfortable with.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:14 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
I'm looking into purchasing a Santoku knife to replace my old Cutco chef's knife. The one I'm looking at is this: Henckels Twin Cuisine 7-Inch Hollow-Edge Santoku

i recently went into bed bath & beyond and asked if i could handle the knives... to see which one felt best in my hand.

i liked the henckels, and i liked the furi santoku knives.

but OUTSIDE of the "expensive" knife case, i handled the anolon 7" santoku and it actually felt BETTER than the other more expensive knives.

so, i laid down the $29 and left with the anolon.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
Senior Cook

As far as the practical uses of a Santoku knife goes, can it completely replace a chef's knife? I was planning on giving away my Cutco chef's knife to my brother, and then buy the Santoku to replace it.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
As far as the practical uses of a Santoku knife goes, can it completely replace a chef's knife? I was planning on giving away my Cutco chef's knife to my brother, and then buy the Santoku to replace it.

The santoku cannot be used to chop through small bones such as those in chicken as a chef's knife can. It has a thinner and lighter blade.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Just remember that you can buy an inexpensive knife if a) you don'y use it often or b) you don't mind buying a another knife in the near future. The Santoku has gained attention because of its use by TV Chefs, but it is a fun knife to play with. In the restaurant I work at we prepare everything in such large quanities it does not make sense to use it when a Chefs knife is really needed. Just take care of your knife by sharpening properly, cleaning it and drying it before storing.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I had ordered the Wusthof one from the Mall knife store. It came in and it was the Henckel instead. DS picked it up for me and I was annoyed that it was wrong brand. Henckel was cheaper and I paid Wusthof price. Brought it home, I felt it, tried it and took it back. The weight for me wasn't there and didn't feel as substantial either. Ordered the right one and I've loved my Wusthof ever since. To me, well worth the money.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The santoku cannot be used to chop through small bones such as those in chicken as a chef's knife can. It has a thinner and lighter blade.
My Lamsons are very simillar in thickness and weight. Before I ordered my 8" chef, I could use the santoku to go right through chicken bones.

I mainly use my santoku for chiffanades or juliennes.