"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by baking fool View Post
What can they do that plaid old chef's knives can't do? Or is it just a preference?
They can pretty much both be used for the same things and it really does come down to preference.

A chefs knife is better suited to a rocking motion than the santoku, but you can still rock with a santoku.

I have both and reach my my chefs knive about 8o-90 percent of the time.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: canada
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
They can pretty much both be used for the same things and it really does come down to preference.

A chefs knife is better suited to a rocking motion than the santoku, but you can still rock with a santoku.

I have both and reach my my chefs knive about 8o-90 percent of the time.
From what I've read a chef's knife is better for more heavy-duty stuff because its blade is thicker & isn't as likely to lose its edge. At home though they seem to be used for pretty much the same things though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Ha-ha-ha, was I laughing when I was looking at his twisted face when he came back and so me opening the can with the knife that was on the table, what is it knife called, you know knife and fork, the regular stuff. He could never imagine that the dull knife like that can be used to open a can. I guess he never was in the Soviet army.
How did you do that? I worked in a restaurant where the chef was in the Canadian military & he opened a big can of olive oil with the heel of a kitchen knife. I guess that isn't very interesting though...
__________________

__________________
The bird could eat its way out of the cage. That was very real to me. As an apprentice, I too felt like a bird in a cage made out of bread. I just fed on my limits. -- Lionel Poilane
baking fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by baking fool View Post
From what I've read a chef's knife is better for more heavy-duty stuff because its blade is thicker
Yeah for heavy duty I would reach for my chefs. I like my santoku for slicing and my chefs for chopping.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #14
Senior Cook
 
Chipotle Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Back in the days when the US Army had it's own cooks ...

I was a cook in the US Army up until 1998. They still have cooks around today. Somebody needs to go out in the field to make sure the soldiers eat when they're training (or at war). I believe you're thinking of the Air Force that has contracted out all of their food service duties.
__________________
If you've never had it before, how do you know you don't like it?
Chipotle Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle Tom View Post
I was a cook in the US Army up until 1998. They still have cooks around today. Somebody needs to go out in the field to make sure the soldiers eat when they're training (or at war). I believe you're thinking of the Air Force that has contracted out all of their food service duties.
Are you saying US Army personnel in Irag were not eating at KBR (formerly Kellogg Brown & Root) dining facilities?

Stars & Stripes article on a vanishing breed:

Stars and Stripes: Catering to the troops
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
Chipotle Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Are you saying US Army personnel in Irag were not eating at KBR (formerly Kellogg Brown & Root) dining facilities?

I have no knowledge of how the operation in Iraq is being run. I do know that units have cooks assigned to them to ensure they can get food when they are in a forward position and are unable to reach a dining facility. I'm not surprised if there are dining facilities set up in Iraq that are run by contracted labor (like so much else in this war). I'm also sure that there are still cooks attached to units who are not within driving distance of those facilities.
__________________
If you've never had it before, how do you know you don't like it?
Chipotle Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
This sounds like a topic for another thread. Lets try to get back to Santokus vs Chef's knives. Thanks.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #18
Senior Cook
 
Chipotle Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 102
Sorry about that GB.

I've never been tempted to buy a Santoku simply because I can't use it for really heavy duty stuff. My chef's knife handles everything to my satisfaction, so I didn't see the point of buying a less versatile knife.

That and I fear change.
__________________
If you've never had it before, how do you know you don't like it?
Chipotle Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle Tom View Post
I've never been tempted to buy a Santoku simply because I can't use it for really heavy duty stuff. My chef's knife handles everything to my satisfaction, so I didn't see the point of buying a less versatile knife.

That and I fear change.
Thats false. My santoku from Lamson is slightly thinner than my chef knife, but goes right through chicken bones, etc. and can still slice off a transparent piece of tomato. Like all knives, I think you'll spend more for a thicker, more heavy duty blade.
__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #20
Sous Chef
 
bowlingshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Compton
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
goes right through chicken bones, etc. and can still slice off a transparent piece of tomato.
sounds like a Ginsu commercial
__________________

__________________
Official member of the club
Vegans die from arrogant smugness & sprout rot. - pighood
bowlingshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.