"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baking fool View Post
What can they do that plaid old chef's knives can't do? Or is it just a preference?
They can pretty much both be used for the same things and it really does come down to preference.

A chefs knife is better suited to a rocking motion than the santoku, but you can still rock with a santoku.

I have both and reach my my chefs knive about 8o-90 percent of the time.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
They can pretty much both be used for the same things and it really does come down to preference.

A chefs knife is better suited to a rocking motion than the santoku, but you can still rock with a santoku.

I have both and reach my my chefs knive about 8o-90 percent of the time.
From what I've read a chef's knife is better for more heavy-duty stuff because its blade is thicker & isn't as likely to lose its edge. At home though they seem to be used for pretty much the same things though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Ha-ha-ha, was I laughing when I was looking at his twisted face when he came back and so me opening the can with the knife that was on the table, what is it knife called, you know knife and fork, the regular stuff. He could never imagine that the dull knife like that can be used to open a can. I guess he never was in the Soviet army.
How did you do that? I worked in a restaurant where the chef was in the Canadian military & he opened a big can of olive oil with the heel of a kitchen knife. I guess that isn't very interesting though...

Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baking fool View Post
From what I've read a chef's knife is better for more heavy-duty stuff because its blade is thicker
Yeah for heavy duty I would reach for my chefs. I like my santoku for slicing and my chefs for chopping.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Back in the days when the US Army had it's own cooks ...

I was a cook in the US Army up until 1998. They still have cooks around today. Somebody needs to go out in the field to make sure the soldiers eat when they're training (or at war). I believe you're thinking of the Air Force that has contracted out all of their food service duties.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle Tom View Post
I was a cook in the US Army up until 1998. They still have cooks around today. Somebody needs to go out in the field to make sure the soldiers eat when they're training (or at war). I believe you're thinking of the Air Force that has contracted out all of their food service duties.
Are you saying US Army personnel in Irag were not eating at KBR (formerly Kellogg Brown & Root) dining facilities?

Stars & Stripes article on a vanishing breed:

Stars and Stripes: Catering to the troops
Old 12-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Are you saying US Army personnel in Irag were not eating at KBR (formerly Kellogg Brown & Root) dining facilities?

I have no knowledge of how the operation in Iraq is being run. I do know that units have cooks assigned to them to ensure they can get food when they are in a forward position and are unable to reach a dining facility. I'm not surprised if there are dining facilities set up in Iraq that are run by contracted labor (like so much else in this war). I'm also sure that there are still cooks attached to units who are not within driving distance of those facilities.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

This sounds like a topic for another thread. Lets try to get back to Santokus vs Chef's knives. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Sorry about that GB.

I've never been tempted to buy a Santoku simply because I can't use it for really heavy duty stuff. My chef's knife handles everything to my satisfaction, so I didn't see the point of buying a less versatile knife.

That and I fear change.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle Tom View Post
I've never been tempted to buy a Santoku simply because I can't use it for really heavy duty stuff. My chef's knife handles everything to my satisfaction, so I didn't see the point of buying a less versatile knife.

That and I fear change.
Thats false. My santoku from Lamson is slightly thinner than my chef knife, but goes right through chicken bones, etc. and can still slice off a transparent piece of tomato. Like all knives, I think you'll spend more for a thicker, more heavy duty blade.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
goes right through chicken bones, etc. and can still slice off a transparent piece of tomato.
sounds like a Ginsu commercial