Santoku vs Chef's knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow.

Yes, there is a place to post picks. On the top you'll User CP, then Cooking Links and then Members Photos. So, we'll be waiting for more picks.

Wow.

Yes, there is a place to post picks. On the top you'll User CP, then Cooking Links and then Members Photos. So, we'll be waiting for more picks.

Aha. I never even saw that spot. I looked around and I would think threads can get lost there. Seeing as how the best I can offer a cooking forum is knife and sharpening knowledge I think I should best post right here under "knives". I could call the new thread something really original like "my knives"........ LOL

Besides some really nifty blades, I have a lot of exotic sharpening equipment that allows me to get a certain types of blade steel sharper, yes SHARPER, than razor blades. Beware of this though; If you follow my posts you will become addicted and so far there is no twelve step program for this.

Buzz

My santoku is stuck at the sharpener's shop until they reopen on Wednesday, so I'm stuck cooking this weekend without it. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I got around to doing a couple of things it does well: lettuce and onions. I can do them with my chef's knife, but I definitely feel a greater degree of precision for those two tasks with the santoku.

Also, strangely enough, I have discovered that my best tomato knife is actually a vintage Chicago Cutlery boning knife. Nothing about it says quality--mass produced, stamped blade--but since I had my sharpener go to work on it a couple of weeks ago, it has become my lunchtime knife. It does a decent job (for a non-serrated knife, anyways) of halving focaccia rolls, a good job of handling red peppers, and an unbelievable job of slicing tomatoes. I also checked to see how good of a job it did at a julienne on those peppers, and it did great there too. It's not at all what the knife was intended for, but I think I have a new favorite (and an inexpensive, easily replaceable one at that) for precision work, and sammiches too.

Aha. I never even saw that spot. I looked around and I would think threads can get lost there. Seeing as how the best I can offer a cooking forum is knife and sharpening knowledge I think I should best post right here under "knives". I could call the new thread something really original like "my knives"........ LOL

Besides some really nifty blades, I have a lot of exotic sharpening equipment that allows me to get a certain types of blade steel sharper, yes SHARPER, than razor blades. Beware of this though; If you follow my posts you will become addicted and so far there is no twelve step program for this.

Buzz
the only reason I mentioned that was because you asked about posting pictures. Other than that fire at will! ;)

I'll readily admit to being a knife junkie. For most of my life I've worked as a chef; recently I took a step back, having decided to return to school. I still cook for a living, but now it's just as an hourly grunt in a steakhouse.:chef: Before I quit my job as the Sous Chef for a very nice hotel/restaurant/convention center I used a wide variety of knives. Now, I still take a roll to work but I really only need four of five knives: a serrated bread knife (I usually take a Kershaw Kai Pure Komachi to work- very sharp yet cheap enough to let the bread guy use it every day), a Messermeister birds-beak peeling knife, an 8" Wustof French knife, a 7" granton-edged Henckels santuko, and a 6" forged utility knife. Occasionally I use others; we serve prime rib on weekends so I use my Forschner Fibrox 12" granton-edged slicer for that. And since I'm a knife nut I usually have three or four santukos and several French knives in my roll (Kershaw Kai Wasabi & Shun santokus, Shun Chef knives), plus an assortment of other Shuns.

Okay, to the actual question: I use a Chef knife perhaps a bit more but the Santoku is also indispensible to me. On the line my santoku is a bit easier to use when we're busy and there isn't a lot of space. But for prep I find the French knife a bit more versatile.

Why choose?:LOL:

Be careful opening cans with a 'high quality' Santoku. The higher the quality steel, the less suited it is to opening cans. The quality which makes it easy to sharpen and its 'sharpness' sets a limit on how hard the steel can be.... Is that right? A good knife balances all of these qualities, sharpness, sharpenability, and edge holding. But for can opening, a ten dollar Swiss army knife is better than a two thousand dollar hand forged Japanese Samurai Santoku anyday of the week.

I have no training as to the proper technique of using a chef's knife or any other cooking type knife. I did in the last week purchase a set of Henckel Pro-S knives (8" chef, 4.5" utility, 4" paring) and a Forschner Santoku. Granted my technique is most likely not taking full advantage of the chef design, but I like the performance of the Santoku over that of the chef. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a good price on a Wusthof or Shun Santoku.

i like using the Santoku knife it makes the rocking action a little easier and faster. I have the Cutco santoku knife and i have other but this one seems the best. The history channel just had cutco on their show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chef Knife Recs?

I'm looking for a good chef's knife - interested in saving money - don't care how it looks but want it to work well. Any suggestions? I keep hearing about the Wusthof classic 8" chef but is it better to get it hollow edge (dimpled) or not?

Back
Top Bottom