"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
The home cook only really needs three knives...
Gee, I'm seriosly over loaded then, I have some 40 or so knives, ok so I use regularly only 20 or so. Common you must be kidding.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Not denying any of your post GB. By "average" I meant "in between" for lack of better terminology. Anyway, I choose Chef's knife for greater versatility in this particular thread in "knives".

It is my opinion that the threads under "knives" have been too limited to department store and television celebrity blades, almost none of which have any cutting ability whatsoever relative to high quality (and often not overpriced) Japanese/and/or custom knives, and I will start a separate thread relative to same.

My knives slide through a tomato rather than mush through them. I believe everyone should experience that same pleasure. It greatly increases the pleasure of cooking.

Buzz

Old 12-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Gee, I'm seriosly over loaded then, I have some 40 or so knives, ok so I use regularly only 20 or so. Common you must be kidding.
More to come Charlie. I have more knives than you do.......

Buzz
Old 12-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #34
Master Chef

How many do you have? And how can you say then that 3 knives is all you need. I couldn't deal with 3 knives.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
How many do you have? And how can you say then that 3 knives is all you need. I couldn't deal with 3 knives.
Charlie, I have in the neighborhood of 300, some untouchable collectors, many seldom touched collectibles like Frank J. Richtigs, and about 30 kitchen knives, 90% of which are Japanese - I'm a convinced convert.

I never said that 3 knives is all *I* need. I said "The home cook only really needs three knives". Totally different. I personally *need* lots and lots of knives, but that's just me. I prefer to use the right knife for a particular purpose in the kitchen. Fussy no, just having fun with cooking. If I had to, a 9 or 10 inch Chef's knife would do 99% of everything I need, except to satisfy my love of knives.

Hope that helps.

Buzz
Old 12-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #36
Master Chef

Wow, man, you must put picks of your colection up here, for everybody to see. It is something. I used to make knives my self and can appreciate what you are saying and what you colecting. You reallly, really must show us what you've got.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:05 PM   #37
Cook

Quote:
In between could be interpreted as "average" and for that I have no interest.
Buzz
Quote:
Not denying any of your post GB. By "average" I meant "in between" for lack of better terminology. Buzz
And I thought women were supposed to be the indecisive ones!

Please do post pics of the collection, sounds like a real treat
Old 12-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 View Post
And I thought women were supposed to be the indecisive ones!

Please do post pics of the collection, sounds like a real treat
Ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaa haaaaaaa. You got me on that one. I said the same thing twice, just backwards. At least I didn't contradict myself.

Is there a special place to post pictures on the Discuss Cooking Forum? I didn't see one and I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have. Anyway, most of my stuff is packed up. I used to live in a large house in Wisconsin and my office was fairly big so the walls were full of knives. I now live in Florida, much smaller home, no basement, and not much room for any kind of display because the walls are covered with golfing related pictures and memorabilia. Consequently my knives are greased, packed, and live in cases in the attic space above the garage. My guns keep them company. Almost all those knives are of the hunting, pocket, or neck varieties.

I'm leaving tomorrow to spend Christmas with relatives but I'll post a little teaser before I go. This is a Hiromoto 240mm (9.4") Tenmi-Jyuraku series Gyuto. A Gyuto is a basically a Japanese Chef's knife except they are quite a bit thinner and are made of totally different steels than their German/French/English/American counterparts. The cladding on the sides of the blade and on the spine are 405 stainless. The cutting edge itself is Hitachi Aogami Blue super steel, the best carbon steel Japan has come up with yet. Its hardness is around 62-63 on the Rockwell scale as opposed to 54-58 on your basic German department store knives.

I had it rehandled by one of my favorite bladesmiths and this mycarta handled hippie on acid Hiro is the result. I haven't seen the knife yet as I had him send it to my sister's in Wisconsin so it could be there by Christmas. I'll take pix up there and post them later.

I bought it as a Christmas present for my daughter and son-in-law. He does 75% of the cooking and he's an electrical engineer house totally wired rec room dedicated to Brett Favre loves to cook on his smoker outside in Minnesota winters kind of guy. This knife should fit right into his (and my daughter's) lifestyle.

Buzz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hiromoto240Gyuto.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	3238   Click image for larger version

Name:	hippie mycarta.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	3239  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WoodysKnife.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	3240   Click image for larger version

Name:	WoodysHandle.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	3241  

Old 12-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #39
Executive Chef

OMG, Buzz, those are gorgeous! Even I can see that the blades are magnificent. And I volunteer to help if you ever want to clean out your attic!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #40
Cook

Wow, I would LOVE a knife like that! I am sure he will be very pleased!