"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Agree with the 6" suggestion. But you might consider some quality alternatives from Europe - Fissler, Berghoff. Also, a slightly different shape is the Deba knife. Not as rounded as the Chef''s knife but more so than the Santoku.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiwan
Agree with the 6" suggestion. But you might consider some quality alternatives from Europe - Fissler, Berghoff. Also, a slightly different shape is the Deba knife. Not as rounded as the Chef''s knife but more so than the Santoku.
Thanks! I saw a Deba knife at Bed Bath today, but the salesperson told me it was only used for deboning fish. Is that true?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
Cook

Small knives are great for cutting up fruit and other small tasks, but if you're going to learn how to really cook on one knife, it should be an 8" chef's knife. 6" is too small to be a versatile knife. After you master 8", you won't want to be going down.

Eventually, you just might become a knife nut. I'm using 9" and 10.5" gyuto (chef's) knives these days, which I bought in the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo. They are beautiful...

link... Masamoto Tsukiji Knives | Victory or Death in the Kitchen

And yes, deba knives are for fish prep, not for general cooking. Western filet knives are thin and flexible, Japanese debas are wide and rigid. Debas can remove fish heads easily, and require a different technique.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D72_4271-670x445.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	15879  
tzakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #24
Sous Chef

[QUOTE="tzakiel"]Small knives are great for cutting up fruit and other small tasks, but if you're going to learn how to really cook on one knife, it should be an 8" chef's knife. 6" is too small to be a versatile knife. After you master 8", you won't want to be going down.

It's been difficult for me to work with 8" chef's knives due to my arthritis. That's why I'm looking for a knife that is a more manageable size.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #25
Cook

Have you tried the global 8" chef? It's extremely light and easy to handle. It feels smaller than 8"
tzakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzakiel
Have you tried the global 8" chef? It's extremely light and easy to handle. It feels smaller than 8"
No, I haven't tried it yet. I heard that it was a really high quality knife. I wish it wasn't so pricey, as my budget is limited at the moment.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #27
Senior Cook

6" knives are perfectly fine if they are more comfortable to use than 8" knives. In fact, I think they would be much better in that case.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbuter
6" knives are perfectly fine if they are more comfortable to use than 8" knives. In fact, I think they would be much better in that case.
Glad to hear this! Which brand would you recommend in the 6" knife category?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Like many of you, I use an 8" chef's knife for most of my cutting & chopping, especially with meats; because the blade is thinner, I do use my 6" santoku for slicing most veggies except for the more heavy-duty types (think butternut squash). For any of you who would like a good deal on knives, the Swiss Knife Shop has a 3-knife package of Victorinox - Forschner knives with the fibrox handle (8" chef's, 4.5" serrated & 3.25" paring - the "Brown Box Special") for $44, shipping included.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
For any of you who would like a good deal on knives, the Swiss Knife Shop has a 3-knife package of Victorinox - Forschner knives with the fibrox handle (8" chef's, 4.5" serrated & 3.25" paring - the "Brown Box Special") for $44, shipping included.
Thanks for posting this. Looks like a great deal!