"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-24-2006, 10:46 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

hi gretchen!

lol, it's not the standard wide serration, per se, but it's a ginsu santoku. (i know, GASP!)
i think my mil got a ginsu set as a gift for ordering so much crap from publisher's clearinghouse. she really believed ed would show up someday.

the ginsu santoku does rock chop right thru a cinder block, leather shoe, aluminum can, and then a tomato really nicely tho.

now i need a good recipe for cinder blocks, shoe leather, and coca cola in tomato sauce...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:46 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
And I got my santoku on Amazon for about $25--a lesser quality (supposedly) Wusthof, but I actually like it better than the $85 Wusthofs I got for all our children several Christmases ago.
Don't you LOVE when that happens!!!

Old 02-24-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom

now i need a good recipe for cinder blocks, shoe leather, and coca cola in tomato sauce...
Check in the Misc. Forum
Old 02-25-2006, 03:00 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Santoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I have found that I have lost some of my knife skills since I have been using a santuko knife a lot. It definitely prevents you from rocking the knife. It's much more of an up and down motion with a santuko.
jennyema...
This is just what I find.
The flat bottom leads to more complete cutting than the rocking a motion of a chef's knife.
I use a flat-push-down motion that works well for me.

Charlie
Old 02-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
i find that it's mostly the *direction* i'm cutting that changes with the two knives. both uses, i keep the knife in constant contact with the board, sliding the blade back and forth through my food (i.e., make the blade do the work and not your hand pushing down). with my chef's knife, i'm dragging the knife back towards me to slice through things. with the santoku, i push away from me for the cutting stroke.

i'm still much more comfortable with the chef's knife stroke for slicing up things neatly, like thin mushroom slices. but for chiffonade of fresh herbs, the santoku wins hands-down. and like bucky, i'm going to have to say the santoku rocks for hacking apart big things, like pineapple.

the current big debate is whether or not to acquire a new chef's knife... the katana series from calphalon looks sooooooo sexy, and fit my hand well on the (brief) test drive at bed bath & beyond.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:54 AM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
i'm very picky about my knives, as i'm sure everyone is. i don't have a santoku b/c i haven't been able to find one that comfortably fits my hand. i really need my knives to feel like an extension of myself... i can cut fine with any knife... but it goes slower b/c i feel clumsy. i would like to have one, b/c i think i would have some great uses for one.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:20 PM   #17
Cook

I was in the market last summer for a new chef's knife, and I went with a sontoku instead of the chef knife style. I Love the sontoku. I might get another chef knife, but that would just be for having a second option incase I had more then one person working at prepping food in my kitchen.

They might be a fad, but I don't see myself going back to a regular chef's knife anytime soon.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #18
Master Chef

HB got me a good Santoku (about $60) for Christmas a couple of years ago, after I saw Rachel Rae using one. I always loved my chef's knife, but I like the Santoku better, as it fits my hand perfectly. I also don't seem to cut myself as often, but I think watching Food Network and learning about cutting skills has helped that. I've learned to tuck my fingers under. Duh...My daughter always said it wasn't a meal until Mom sliced her finger.
I've seen the serrated one...that's what Rachel is using now. Looks cool, but I don't think I need it. I have a good serrated bread knife.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry
jennyema...
This is just what I find.
The flat bottom leads to more complete cutting than the rocking a motion of a chef's knife.
I use a flat-push-down motion that works well for me.

Charlie

I hate to throw the cooking school lessons out the window though! Rocking a knife is a much more efficient cutting motion for repetitive work. I used to be pretty good at it but you'd probably never know now .... and it's worse still with my new really light ceramic knives.