"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-27-2005, 07:37 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to chefhelper
Santuko?

I may be a little behind the times here, but I keep hearing about this type of knife and would like to know what the benefits of using this type of knife are (as opposed to a basic chef's knife).

Was it originally meant for Sushi (or is that a different knife)?

Sorry for the ignorance

Old 10-31-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefhelper
I may be a little behind the times here, but I keep hearing about this type of knife and would like to know what the benefits of using this type of knife are (as opposed to a basic chef's knife).

Was it originally meant for Sushi (or is that a different knife)?

Sorry for the ignorance
No worries mate,figuring out knives isn't easy.

Some chefs have gone with Japanese knife making because some consider the Japanese to make the best steel.And the Japanese knife in general has a bluntish end,but not all of them.There are western style Japanese chefs knives like Gyuto which is considered by most chefs to be superior to the Santuko,me included.I wouldn't call the Santuko knife a fad because in Japan that is their chef knife and the blunt
end I've heard has something to do with a pointed blade not
being good luck,but as far as the knife's popularity over here in NA,definately a fad IMO.The pointed ones like the western knives and the Japanese Gyuto has more applications on a daily basis as the point of the knife become a useful application in itself.

The sushi knive is a totally different thing altogether.The sushi knife is made for either right or left hand and the blade is straight on one side and is angled on the other.This facilates a push allowing the flesh to fall away and not stick to the blade,and is never used for any other operation.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

A santoku and a chefs knife can be used interchangeably, but they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

A santoku is a good slicing knife and really does well with vegetables, while a chefs knife is great at chopping since the curve of the blade allows for a good rocking motion.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Great explanation!

I have both and just last night I was using my Santoku. Much harder using the rocking motion because of the shape of the blade. However, I have an easier time making thin slices with the Santoku.

YMMV.

Paul
Old 11-01-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to chefhelper
wow! Thanks guys :).
I'm actually going to be buying a new knife - looks like I'll look into a Gyuto or a Santuko. I have my beloved regular chef knife - my staple, but it would be nice to see if there's something else out there.

I appreciate your feedback...thanks again!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

The santoku has replacd my chef's knife. I find no problem chopping (could it be that I am not the greatest chopper with a chef's knife?!?), slicing, or anything with it. I even went so far as to go inexpensive with the $19.99 (when it was 50% off for $9.99 no less!) Farberware Pro at BB&B.

Chris
Old 02-24-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
Master Chef

I have found that I have lost some of my knife skills since I have been using a santuko knife a lot. It definitely prevents you from rocking the knife. It's much more of an up and down motion with a santuko.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm not a fan of the santoku either (btw, it's santoku, not santuko, afaik). dw uses a new set she just bought (wolfgang puck's cheapo 5pc set), and loves them. i've tried using a few, but it didn't feel comfortable, and i missed the rocking chop motion that jenny mentioned. about the only thing i use a santoku for, a serrated one, is cutting up pineapple.

did you know the word santoku means "three good things", in reference to the fact that it slices, dices, and minces well.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

I have never seen a serrated santoku bucky. That sounds like an interesting knife.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Never seen a serrated santoku either. You aren't referring to the kullens, are you. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my santoku and find it chops better than my very fine Henckels chef's knife. And I got my santoku on Amazon for about $25--a lesser quality (supposedly) Wusthof, but I actually like it better than the $85 Wusthofs I got for all our children several Christmases ago.

I also find it is more efficient with a rocking motion using the point because is is flatter. I don't have a problem rocking it to chop.