"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the feedback so far, looks like a good start. While I don't have to have suminagashi, I would perfer it. They look to beautiful to me and for the price range I am looking at...Why not? If it's a nice blade at least. Someone told me today I should 'buck up' and look at the Tanaka. I don't know much about them at all, but at x3 the price I would need a pro to explain why I should spend that much. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
Head Chef

Tanaka knifes are well made and not terribly expensive:

eBay Store: Search results for Japanese tools metalmaster.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

The Tanaka I saw was on Epicurean Edge for $630 bucks. I actually didn't think of E-bay. :)
Old 07-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
Master Chef

DH bought me the knife Rachel Rae used to use...(Santoku?)...and I love it. He has his own knives he uses.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
DH bought me the knife Rachel Rae used to use...(Santoku?)...and I love it. He has his own knives he uses.

I think that's actually pretty cool. The fact you have your separate knives does define your unique spaces in the kitchen.

I also have wanted to buy that Santoku knife as it gets rave reviews (by non professionals), but I really can't justify since the chef knife I have now is quite capable.

Bob
Old 07-17-2009, 04:50 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraingaar View Post
The Tanaka I saw was on Epicurean Edge for $630 bucks. I actually didn't think of E-bay. :)
No need to resort to eBay if you don't want to- the Wa handles Tanaka's are pretty reasonable at ChefKnivesToGo.com, and you get free shipping. Their suminagashi blades are available in Blue #2 or VG-10 with good geometry and a keen age for well under $200 (although currently they list only the carbon Mark can probably get the V-Gold 10, and if not the two primary sellers on eBay are really solid).

Make no mistake, though...if I had the spare change I'd snag one of those high end, ironwood handled R2 Tanaka's in a heartbeat!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Kazuyuki Tanaka : San Mai Damascus R2 powdered metallurgical (PM) stainless steel blade, Rc 62.
Tenmi-Jyuraku Damascus Series:VG-10 Cobalt steel
HD Series from Hattori: VG10 core cutting edge forged with 63 layered Nickel Damascus stainless steel blade.

I was all set on the Hattori until I read several reviews saying that the blade chips really easy and will take more maintence than it should. However, all those reviews said the knive is a dream to work with with superior balance and control.
That leaves me wishing the KD line was half the price :)
That left me ready to purchase the HIROMOTO. Except, due to the fact it's brand new, I can not find a review on it. Other Hiromoto knives get great reviews, but the blade composition is different on this one and I've heard from several sources that the Hittori is superior in the VG 10 process. So I am stumped again.
Now the Tanaka, I could swing the price, so that's not an issue. The issue is I really don't understand the nuances of the material uses to make the knives, and if it's really worth jumping up to the price point. At $600 That's really my limit I can spend as I was planning on upgrading a few of my other knives and get waterstones.
So I guess my question is, WHY is the Tanaka worth it? Or should I jump on one of the others? thanks again for all the info, you guys rock!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Wow....that's a lot of knives I'm learning here. Scotch, You actually frighten me with so many sharp pointed knives that you have. I only have one....my favourite chopper/cleaver that I use for everything. Do you use all those knives all the time? They must have cost you a lot.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:56 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
So I guess my question is, WHY is the Tanaka worth it? Or should I jump on one of the others? thanks again for all the info, you guys rock!
First, they run a great shop. Their work is first class all the way, by all reports. The ironwood handles are gorgeous with fantastic F&F, the cladding is etched nearly to Hattori KD standards and R2 is a tremendous steel. I've not been fortunate enough to use the uber-Tanaka, so take this with a grain of salt, but the reports of those who own them are glowing. If I had an extra $600 to drop on a knife right now it would definitely be the 240mm Ironwood Tanaka.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
... I was all set on the Hattori until I read several reviews saying that the blade chips really easy and will take more maintence than it should. However, all those reviews said the knive is a dream to work with with superior balance and control....
Hattori knives are no more prone to chipping, in my experience, than other Japanese kitchen knives. Japanese knives are more prone to chipping than German knives due to 1) the harder and more brittle steel they use and 2) the thinness of the blades and 3) the steep angles at which they are sharpened. But they do chip -- you cannot cut through even chicken bones with most Japanese kitchen knives. However, they are superior when it comes to slicing and chopping veggies and meats, etc.