"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

I love the Hattori KD knife. Had one been available I might have impluse bought it. I still have it on my 'to do' list and may end up grabbing one in the future. It seems to be everything I was looking for (except the price) but I think it's too nice to pass on.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Well, I took the plunge and ordered the Hattori HD 240mm and the 135mm petty. The Gyuto is out of stock and won't ship for a month. Even without being made by Hittori himself, I never heard a bad thing about it espically from people who own it. I can't wait for it to arrive. Thanks for all the help everyone! I'll be asking more questions in the future as I replace my knife kit one blade at a time.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #33
Head Chef

You'll love them both, I'm sure. My two most used knives!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #34
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks a lot. Because of this thread I just ordered the 150mm petty. Just what I needed, another knife.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #35
Head Chef

I think you'll love the knife. IIRC it's made by Blazen Ryu but finished by Hattori. BTW, I second the love for the FH- I have an FH gyuto in the 240mm length.

As an aside, I've heard the wa handles Tanaka uses are pretty cheap but one can always replace them with something nicer.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

I think when I get a handle replaced I will see if Jay Fisher is available. Those knives of his are sweet! Not sure if gem stones are the most praticle but Darn do they look good.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I think you'll love the knife. IIRC it's made by Blazen Ryu but finished by Hattori. BTW, I second the love for the FH- I have an FH gyuto in the 240mm length.

As an aside, I've heard the wa handles Tanaka uses are pretty cheap but one can always replace them with something nicer.
The handle on my Tanaka 165mm VG-10 Gold Damascus Nakiri came complete off last night. I reattached it by filling the hole with Gorilla Glue and pounding the tang back in. Seems to hold. Great knife otherwise, especially for the money -- I paid $90 from eBay Store - Japanese tools metalmaster: Japanese kitchen knife, knives, plane
Old 07-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I think you'll love the knife. IIRC it's made by Blazen Ryu but finished by Hattori. BTW, I second the love for the FH- I have an FH gyuto in the 240mm length....
See my post #29 in this thread. The Hattori HD Series are made by Ryusen; Blazen is another line made by the same company.

I have versions of the HD Series knives with three different kanji -- Hattori's own, Ryusen's, and a third company called Takahisa that is strictly a distributor. The only difference in the knives, aside from size and shape, is the kanji, so if Hattori is finishing the knives, it's either not apparent to me or the other companies are doing an equally good job. It really doesn't matter much, however, as they are all of superior quality.

For further information on this topic, check this thread on Fred's Cutlery Forum (I was the OP on eGullet referred to in the first post): Hattori/Ryusen/Ittosai/Kikuichi/Takahisa et al. - Foodie Forums
Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #39
Head Chef

Yeah, there's a lot of OEM'ing going on in Japan. I've been drooling over the 210mm Takamura gyuto at CNTG and Mark tells me that they're also made by Ryusen.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Seems like Ryusen is busy these days.
@GB, no worries about the knife, you'll love it!