"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
Master Chef

Just an aside about serrated knives.....never use them on your wood cutting board. I have a cheap flimsy plastic cutting mat for just that purpose.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
slicing tomatoes is a serrated task, too, imho.
I feel just the opposite. I do NOT like cutting tomatoes with a serrated knife. My 10" Cutco (don't ask, it was a gift ) chef's knife goes through tomatoes effortlessly. I keep it sharp and I can cut paper thin slices with it, yet it's stiff enough to half a spaghetti squash. Cutco isn't a bad knife, just overpriced..

Old 03-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I actually have a serrated knife that is called a tomato knife. It has a 6-inch blade. I use it to cut my bagels. It does a great job on bagels and tomatoes but I use regular-edged knives on tomatoes.

If I have a problem cutting a tomato with a regular-edged knife, I know it's time to sharpen it.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
Executive Chef

bread, tomatoes, fingers
Old 03-31-2010, 01:55 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
MAC SB-150

For the money the best bread knife in the world.

Buzz
For the money, I'm nominating the Kai Wasabi II bread knife as one of the best bread knives in the world. To be honest it's so good that it made me sell my Shun Elite bread knife! Certainly the Elite (and even the Classic) uses "better" steel, but the Wasabi is a tad longer and has a wee bit more curve. In actual use I find it to be about as good as any, if not better, and you can't beat $35. I love mine so much that I have a 2nd one, NIB, ready to go if I ever lose the first one.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #16
Sous Chef

I use my 8" chef knife for dang near everything. We have a serrated bread knife, but I rarely use it. Honed on oil-coated stone (every couple months) and it's edge kept with a steel, my chef knife will pretty much fall through a tomato under it's own weight just by setting it on the skin and lightly drawing it back.

I use a Wüsthof Cordon Bleu edition which has a half-bolster and a slightly thinner blade than the classic edition. I even bought a spare for traveling.

Only other knife I ever reach for is a paring knife.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #17
Head Chef

Well, yeah...if the weight of the blade isn't sufficient force to cut a tomato, your knife is dull. Serrated knives fill a different role; hopefully, they're reserved for crusty bread, and perhaps a few esoteric tasks too specialized to enumerate here (of course, this definitely doesn't include tomatoes- they're properly cut with a sharp non-serrated edge; at least in commercial kitchen; I don't know how Rachael Ray does it).

Pro cooks don't use serrated knives much, pretty much just for crusty bread.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulg View Post
A good nakiri with a well maintained edge will change your opinion.

The problem with tomatoes is that too many people use blunt knives on them.
I don't use blunt knives, but I still prefer a small, slender serrated knife for tomatoes.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

For me, when it comes to tomatoes and knives I have a few thoughts.

1. I would always pick a properly sharpened straight edge knife to cut a tomato over a serrated knife.

2. I would always pick a serrated over a dull straight knife to cut a tomato.

3. Unless I am going to very thin slices, I can get the same results from a serrated and a straight edge.

Personal preference is why I like to use a sharp straight edge. I enjoy using a very sharp knife. There is a satisfaction that comes put slicing through an entire tomato with one pull from a sharp blade. There is also a satisfaction with slicing super thin slices of a veggie/fruit as challenging to slice as a tomato. Most of my cooking applications do not call for super thin slices, but when I sharpen my knives if I have tomatoes on hand that is one way I will test sharpness. I do not get the same sort of satisfaction from using a serrated blade.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #20
Mr. Greenjeans

I love extra thin sliced tomatoes on freshly made sammiches!