Sharpening Angle for Scissors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I have the lansky system of stones for sharpening. It offers several angles for various purposes.

I want to sharpen Henckels kitchen scissors. Does anyone know the best angle to use?

I never use a Lansky system, however the stone has to 'marry up' with the cutting surface--perhaps set a bit heavier for right on the edge.

Take a magic marker and paint the entire cutting edges of both tines. Make a light cut and see how much ink has been removed. If it's off, re-mark the edge, set a new adjustment and lightly cut again.

Yeah Chico's got it right, follow the factory angle on shears/scissors and you'll be good to go. To deburr cut a couple of times into paper towel.

--Dave--

You could also free hand the stone over the edge at the existing angle. If you approach the blade at around 45deg (that's not edge angle - that's stone to blade position) you'll be able to take advantage of the wide bevel of the shear and "lock onto" the bevel. It sounds daunting but it's really not that hard at all and can be made even easier if you can clamp the knife into a vise or holder.

--Dave--

Dave, it looks like you're a new member here, as well. I'm sharpening more kitchen knives now. Perhaps we should invite over the whole KF/KS crowd.

Think of the status. We could be the first circle of people in hobbyist forum history to be banned as a group.

BTW, folks, I am known as "The Tourist" on most knife, gun and motorcycle forums. Hide the fine china.

Dave, it looks like you're a new member here, as well. I'm sharpening more kitchen knives now. Perhaps we should invite over the whole KF/KS crowd.

Think of the status. We could be the first circle of people in hobbyist forum history to be banned as a group.

BTW, folks, I am known as "The Tourist" on most knife, gun and motorcycle forums. Hide the fine china.

No, I think I will hide my knives instead... but only after you have sharpened them!:LOL:

The china you can have as payment, LOL.

Maverick2272, careful what you wish for...

My wife and I have discussed reformulating my business. I enjoy sharpening kitchen knives the best. We're going to talk to our business planner, and within the month Bada Bing Cutlery Emporium will be all-kitchen, all-the-time.

To paraphrase Hunter Thompson, "It's hard to imagine those perfectly manufactured creations screaming along in the hands of a maniac."

Do you think he even imagined debas, sashimis and gyutos?

We're going to talk to our business planner, and within the month Bada Bing Cutlery Emporium will be all-kitchen, all-the-time.

What? Forsaking your law enforcement customers? Kiss your free protection goodbye. Not to worry though, Chico. Call me from Madison and this Marine will swoop down from Wausau in a rented Cessna filled with water balloon bombs. You'll be in good hands... :cool:

Buzz, there are horses for courses.

Granted, I would never turn down a soldier (especially one being deployed) or a LEO, and I do a lot of pro bono work.

But let's face it, you know how I work, I'm of more service and I can support myself better if I stay with the restaurant trade.

Besides, who better than a biker to go toe-to-toe with a chef and that inflated ego?

And face it, I prefer to do detailed and precise work.

Buzz, there are horses for courses.

Granted, I would never turn down a soldier (especially one being deployed) or a LEO, and I do a lot of pro bono work.

But let's face it, you know how I work, I'm of more service and I can support myself better if I stay with the restaurant trade.

Besides, who better than a biker to go toe-to-toe with a chef and that inflated ego?

And face it, I prefer to do detailed and precise work.

Understood. You did do a service for the local established publically funded enforcers, and a good one I'm sure. My very best wishes re: your future.

DC member plumies, are you watching this thread? The Tourist is full of information to take your artistry with your new Apex to the next level and beyond. That's a promise.

Back
Top Bottom