"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Sharpening Angle for Scissors

I have the lansky system of stones for sharpening. It offers several angles for various purposes.

I want to sharpen Henckels kitchen scissors. Does anyone know the best angle to use?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I never use a Lansky system, however the stone has to 'marry up' with the cutting surface--perhaps set a bit heavier for right on the edge.

Take a magic marker and paint the entire cutting edges of both tines. Make a light cut and see how much ink has been removed. If it's off, re-mark the edge, set a new adjustment and lightly cut again.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, Chico. I'll try that.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Yeah Chico's got it right, follow the factory angle on shears/scissors and you'll be good to go. To deburr cut a couple of times into paper towel.

--Dave--
Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I use the Lansky System and that has set angles. I guess if one of those angles doesn't work, I'm out of luck.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

You could also free hand the stone over the edge at the existing angle. If you approach the blade at around 45deg (that's not edge angle - that's stone to blade position) you'll be able to take advantage of the wide bevel of the shear and "lock onto" the bevel. It sounds daunting but it's really not that hard at all and can be made even easier if you can clamp the knife into a vise or holder.

--Dave--
Old 08-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Dave, it looks like you're a new member here, as well. I'm sharpening more kitchen knives now. Perhaps we should invite over the whole KF/KS crowd.

Think of the status. We could be the first circle of people in hobbyist forum history to be banned as a group.

BTW, folks, I am known as "The Tourist" on most knife, gun and motorcycle forums. Hide the fine china.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Buller View Post
Dave, it looks like you're a new member here, as well. I'm sharpening more kitchen knives now. Perhaps we should invite over the whole KF/KS crowd.

Think of the status. We could be the first circle of people in hobbyist forum history to be banned as a group.

BTW, folks, I am known as "The Tourist" on most knife, gun and motorcycle forums. Hide the fine china.
No, I think I will hide my knives instead... but only after you have sharpened them!

The china you can have as payment, LOL.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Maverick2272, careful what you wish for...

My wife and I have discussed reformulating my business. I enjoy sharpening kitchen knives the best. We're going to talk to our business planner, and within the month Bada Bing Cutlery Emporium will be all-kitchen, all-the-time.

To paraphrase Hunter Thompson, "It's hard to imagine those perfectly manufactured creations screaming along in the hands of a maniac."

Do you think he even imagined debas, sashimis and gyutos?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Buller View Post
We're going to talk to our business planner, and within the month Bada Bing Cutlery Emporium will be all-kitchen, all-the-time.
What? Forsaking your law enforcement customers? Kiss your free protection goodbye. Not to worry though, Chico. Call me from Madison and this Marine will swoop down from Wausau in a rented Cessna filled with water balloon bombs. You'll be in good hands...

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote