"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-30-2007, 01:45 AM   #21
Head Chef

Tonite I used the last two stages of my Edgemaker's to put a shaving-sharp edge on a couple of Dexter Russell's at work. It took me 20 or 30 seconds each to take them from really dull to pretty darned sharp. You can't go wrong for the price.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Nice thing about some of those Dexters is that they sharpen pretty easily but don''t stay sharp all that long. For those that know how to bring a Dexte'rs edge back they're pretty good knives for the money.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #23
Senior Cook

I have the Chef's Choice 2 stage electric sharpener and it works great for me. Simple and fast.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #24
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CyberSlag5k
I bought a stone at a hardware store the other night, but I don't think I'm using it entirely right. I'm getting a decent edge on the blade. It's sharp, but I'd like it to be sharper. I find that one side of the blade looks good, but the other does not.

Here is what I do:

Wet the fine side of the stone
Angle the blade at roughly a 20 degree angle with the stone
Starting at the tip of the knife on the edge of the stone nearest me, run the knife all the way up until I reach the edge of the blade near the handle
Flip to the other side and repeat

However one side of the blade has a nice, tapered look on the edge, and the other looks flat. Obviously I'm not doing one side properly, though I try and use the same angle and the same pressure on both sides of the blade. Which side, assuming my description is adequate, am I not doing properly, and do you have any suggestions on how to make sure they're even? And any suggestions on how to get a finer edge on the blade would be suggested. As I said, they're definitely sharp, but I'd like them to be razor sharp.

Lastly, I alternate sides with every swipe. Is this the proper technique? I started out doing 5 swipes per side, but I found that only exacerbated the unevening problem.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Most times draging from handle end to tip works better than the other way. IE trying to cut thin slices from the sharpening stone is the preferred method (unless you are using a soft stone). Final sharpening should be done on a hard stone.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #26
Senior Cook

If your bevels are uneven, doing an even number of strokes will do little to even them out. I'd suggest you focus on one side until you raise a burr, and then switch to the other side until the burr switches to the other side. Switch sides again, feeling after every stroke until the burr seems to disappear.

Also, what kind of knife is it? Some Japanese knives are only beveled on one side.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:46 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSlag5k View Post
I bought a stone at a hardware store the other night, but I don't think I'm using it entirely right. I'm getting a decent edge on the blade. It's sharp, but I'd like it to be sharper. I find that one side of the blade looks good, but the other does not.

Here is what I do:

Wet the fine side of the stone
Angle the blade at roughly a 20 degree angle with the stone
Starting at the tip of the knife on the edge of the stone nearest me, run the knife all the way up until I reach the edge of the blade near the handle
Flip to the other side and repeat

However one side of the blade has a nice, tapered look on the edge, and the other looks flat. Obviously I'm not doing one side properly, though I try and use the same angle and the same pressure on both sides of the blade. Which side, assuming my description is adequate, am I not doing properly, and do you have any suggestions on how to make sure they're even? And any suggestions on how to get a finer edge on the blade would be suggested. As I said, they're definitely sharp, but I'd like them to be razor sharp.

Lastly, I alternate sides with every swipe. Is this the proper technique? I started out doing 5 swipes per side, but I found that only exacerbated the unevening problem.

Thanks!

That's a common problem freehanding with a stone. If one side is a lot sharper than the other, either the bevel isn't being ground accurately or you have some burr on the blade. Freehand sharpening takes a bit of practice; many people find guided systems work better for them. Sure, you'll get an incredible edge with waterstones...once you know how to do it.

Something like the Spyderco Sharpmaker might be the solution for you. It's a very simple matter to get a good quality knife to near-scalpel sharpness with that little gizmo.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Knife Sharpening
Old 01-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Thanks for your comments everyone.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #30
Cook

I just bought a system today but I can't remember the name off the top of my head...

It has a guide with 30, 25, 20 and 17 degrees for sharpening. Any recommendations on which two to use for a bevel? I have just some standard Chicago Cutlery knives