"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Master Chef

Sharpening Knives

I have a good set of Wustof knives we saved up and bought individually about 10 years ago.

They recently didn't seem to be keeping their edge very long (one or two uses and we had to sharpen them again).

Then I was watching something on TV that instructed that we were "honing" the knives, not sharpening them, and that knives should periodically be professionally sharpened.

I was at a local greenhouse and saw that a man took tool/knife sharpening jobs from there. I kept forgetting, but last Friday I took my knives in and picked them up on Sunday.

Believe it, it is true. The darned things are better than new! Find someone who does this service and take yours there, now!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I sharpen my Japanese knives with a sharpener similar to this
Anolon Universal Knife Sharpener in sharpeners at the home of creative kitchenware, Lakeland

I was once told honing a knife puts the blade back into alignment and using a wet sharpener puts the sharp edge back.

Whether this is true or not I sharpen my knives at least once a week or more if they don't cut cleanly through a tomato. Nothing better than a really sharp knife

Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Wine Guy

You have to be careful with Japanese knives, since the blade is set at a different angle than traditional European knives.

I send my Shun knives back to the manufacturer once a year to be sharpened, since this is a free service (you only pay for shipping). You have to love that. And yes, they recommend only a yearly sharpening.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I didn't know about the only once a year sharpening Steve Kroll, thank you for that.

What do you use then, just the steel? I do use a sharpener recommended by Kai Shun though.

I don't think my 20cm knife would last that long without a proper sharpening as I use it for nearly everything. Kai Shun 20cm Chef's Knife DM-0706
Old 09-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Starting with a properly sharpened knife, if you hone after every use, you should easily get a year out of it.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Thank you Andy M.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Good reults for a gadget

I use this thing these days. They also make ones with the 20 degree western angle, but I use this on everything with good results. This, and then maintain the edge with the 5-4-3-2-1 steeling technique that Chief Longwind recently told me about has great results.

I have all the sharpening stones, the Japanese water stones, diamond impregnated stones, etc. and the skill to use them, but it's just not worth it, imo, when you can get such good results so easily with this thing and a good, smooth butcher's steel.

Amazon.com: Chef's Choice Pronto Santoku/Asian Manual Knife Sharpener: Kitchen & Dining

Tags
knives