"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
Cook

Sharpening knives - What am I doing wrong?

I bought a whet stone a few months ago and have tried to use it numerous times to sharpen knives, but it isnít working well. It has a 1000 and 6000 grit side which seems mostly standard. Iíll get as close to 15 degrees as I can and spend a few minutes on each side sharpening. I feel for the burr which forms on the upward facing side as a guide. After the burr shows up, I flip sides. Then I move to the 6000 side to smooth it out. By this point it should be sharp, but it doesnít seem much sharper than when I started as it doesnít come close to cutting paper. Any suggestions?

kbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreit View Post
I bought a whet stone a few months ago and have tried to use it numerous times to sharpen knives, but it isnít working well. It has a 1000 and 6000 grit side which seems mostly standard. Iíll get as close to 15 degrees as I can and spend a few minutes on each side sharpening. I feel for the burr which forms on the upward facing side as a guide. After the burr shows up, I flip sides. Then I move to the 6000 side to smooth it out. By this point it should be sharp, but it doesnít seem much sharper than when I started as it doesnít come close to cutting paper. Any suggestions?
First question... what kind of metal are your knives made of?

CD

Old 07-17-2018, 01:21 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I have a range of knives, different quality, one of the best is a cheapy, I use a steel, same as the ones used in freezing works. My daughter can't stand me sharpening knives.

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:38 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I too would welcome advice on how to use a sharpening stone. I have one, but I never got the gist of it, so I use my steel instead, which works fine, but I've heard that stones work better. I'm going to search the web for a site which shows you what to do, but I'm sure there are 'knacks' to it that help on the way.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
Master Chef

I am professional tool maker, I deal with tool sharpening on the daily bases and yet, sharpening knives is not that simple. It takes a lot of practice. And even more, Patience. And then some more Patience. The best I can recommend is start watching videos on Youtube. There are plenty to choose from. But remember it will take time and Patience to learn to do it right.

Here is a good video:
Old 07-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
First question... what kind of metal are your knives made of?

CD
A few different knives but my go-to knife is my chef's knife. It's the Victronix Fibrox Pro 8" chef's knife. Supposedly a carbon blade.
kbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

As described, your technique appears sound. I'd take the advice to watch some videos and follow their techniques. Does the company that made/sold the stone have a website with 'how to' videos?
Old 07-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #8
Senior Cook

This is the guy I watch for how to sharpen.

https://youtu.be/o4XgLgvqjYk
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreit View Post
I'm there with you, never could get the hang of using a stone. There are several decent sharpening systems around, but I've had my Chef's Choice 3 stage electric sharpener for quite a few years now, and I'm happy with it, so I haven't really done much research. I also have a cheap Wrenwane pull through sharpener (about $10 on Amazon) that I use on my smaller paring/utility knives... keeps them pretty sharp. Both are easy to use and fairly foolproof.

I use a steel (mine is a ceramic hone, but it functions like a steel) for honing but it won't actually sharpen a dull knife. For that you need something that does more than just realign the edge. Eventually all knives need more than a hone to recreate a proper edge.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
There are several decent sharpening systems around, but I've had my Chef's Choice 3 stage electric sharpener for quite a few years now, and I'm happy with it, so I haven't really done much research.
I have one of those too. I can't say that they're cost effective, but it sure is convenient to pull it out when the knife needs a little touch up, rather than taking it out to a sharpening service. I sharpen my knives maybe twice a year. I would much rather have a sharp cheap knife than a dull good knife.

tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
knives