"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Sharpening tool recommendation needed?

Hello,

My wustof knives lost their sharp edge and it's ripping my chicken apart. I have a wustof smooth steel but is not working at all. I have been thinking about buying the electrical sharpening tool that has 3 sections that cost around $150.00 but I would like to get something cheaper if possible.

Does anyone know of a cheaper solution that works?

Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I take mine to the butcher at the grocery store. Works great and it's free

Old 02-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

If you want to do your own sharpening, there are options directly related to how involved you want to get.

1. "I just want these knives sharp!" Buy an electric sharpener. America's Test Kitchen just did a comparison and recommended the Chef's Choice three stage.

2. "I've always wanted to try sharpening my own knives." Buy a manual sharpening kit that includes various grit stones and angle guides along with instructions to keep you from messing up your edges. Lanky and Apex Edge Pro of systems at different price points.

3. "Knife sharpening is where it at! I can slice a car in half with one swipe of my chef's knife" Buy a set of quality sharpening stones, pixie dust etc and go to Japan and apprentice for 10 years to learn how to use them.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Head Chef

I have the Chef's Choice Trizor, and am very impressed by it. I'm on ATK's email list, and they were running a promotion late last year for $130, and I bit. I sharpened 3 of my own knives, 5 for my daughter, and 4 for a good friend. The cost per knife has dropped!

If you know your knives are dull, be very careful after a good sharpening. I didn't think mine were too bad, but was startled at how fast the knife went through veggies. My daughter had the same reaction.

The steel doesn't sharpen the knife, it just realigns the edge. Go to https://chefschoice.com/ and check out the video section for an explanation.
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I just bought a Wusthof. The "care-and-feeding" pamphlet that was in the box mentioned using a pull-through sharpener as the first choice.

Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table. ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I get mine professionally sharpened twice a year for pretty cheap.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
Master Chef

I like to sharpen my own knives. They only have to be so sharp, after all...I have been using this stone for years...once you get on to a stone, it is very easy and effective...cheap, too..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sharpening tool recommendation needed?

We have the Chef's Choice three stage. DH loves it, and is disappointed when I don't have anything for him to sharpen. It does a nice job.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
Master Chef

I have a Chef's Choice three stage sharpener that has served me well for many years. Then, for day-to-day honing, I have a Wusthof pull-through sharpener. It does the same thing as a steel, but is easier to use, IMO.

Like tenspeed said, a steel (and my Wusthof sharpener) don't actually create a sharp edge, they just maintain an already sharp edge. I use my Chef's Choice electric sharpener when I need to restore a dull knife to a sharp edge, and use the Wusthof sharpener as needed to keep my knives sharp.

CD
Old 02-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Edge Pro

If you go the sharpening stone route, there are Edge Pro Chinese knockoffs that are really quite good at around $40 - $50, including a set of stones. Very easy system to master and great results. I also have the Chef's Choice electric sharpener but in my experience it is too slow and the end result is adequate, but never great.

Stock Pot is offline   Reply With Quote