Sharpening Wusthof Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cindy said:
I need a class!!! lol

AH .. this is where the scholarship fund comment came from hehehe

OK .. scholarship fund for learning to sharpen knives and for getting new knives. hmmmm now how could you go wrong with that? :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

CharlieD said:
Oh, you can go really - really wrong with knife sharpening

LOL I could go really really wrong THINKING about sharpening the knives myself, altho I would like to get an old knife and give it a try.

Lansky

The Lansky systems are great. I think specifically mine is the Deluxe Sharpening System. I've used it on hunting knives, pocket knives, etc. with great success over the years.

Now that my GF bought me a Wustoff Grand Prix 8" chef knife (which is awesome btw), I'm sure the system will work just as great. It's nice since you're able to get the same angle while sharpening every time.

I just purchased Chef's choice 130 an electric model that was highly rated by cooks illustrated. It is fabulous! I have had my Wustof's for two years and was doing ok with the sharpening steel, but felt like they were getting duller. the Chef's choice puts a great edge on them and has a fool prood steel built in. I was worried that an electric sharpener would "ruin" my knives but after cooks review I took a chance. No regrets, easy to use, and truly sharper than when they were new.

This device is nearly foolproof, if you follow the directions on the inside lid of the case, and the edge you get very long-lasting. You also get a sense of intense personal satisfaction when you know that you, personally, put your favorite tools back in tip-top working order, and for a very reasonable price, in money and time spent. I do my sharpening while watching DVD movies.
I think GATCO has the best, most versatile sharpening system. Kitchen knives are used for different things, and within those applications, often call for different angles of sharpening. For instance, boning knives, filleting knives and cook's or chef's knives all should be sharpened to different angles, not to mention cleavers. GATCO can do all of these, as well as serrated (albeit with a special hone).

As to "sharpening" steels, when I was in Cook-Chef class, I was taught that "steeling" a knife was for the purpose of aligning crystalline molecules of a knife's sharp edge, thereby re-strengthening the factory or stone-achieved edge. Wether it was through friction-induced magnetism (as is my personal conjecture) or not, I do know that excessive steeling does produce filings on the steel and the knife's edge.

Dale

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to keep in mind. Sharpening a knife is much much different from using a steel on a knife. Even though it is sometimes referred to as a sharpening steel, it does not sharpen. A steel only hones the blade. it does nothing to sharpen. You should use the steel every single time you use your knives, but they should only need to be sharpened every 4-12 months 9depending on use and a few other factors).

To hone is to sharpen in the English language. It is the first meaning of the word as a verb. What you meant to say is "realign" the edge.

To hone is to sharpen in the English language. It is the first meaning of the word as a verb. What you meant to say is "realign" the edge.

Realigning soft steel knives to straighten rolled edges is accomplished with a glass smooth steel. Ribbed steels are files and do indeed remove metal and (please forgive me) "sharpen".

Back
Top Bottom